Figured this would be a better place to post this than the "Bulldozer" sub forum, due to this machine's age. Never messed with a dozer, but for some inexplicable reason, I want one. Looked on craigslist and there was this D7 listed for 3k, the seller says it weights 17 tons and I'd like to verify that number. I'm sure 3K is way too much for this machine, but if it does weight 17 tons, that's only 8 cents per pound.
D7 3T with cable blade is around 17 tons. Can not tell if it has a CCU on the back but you are in the ballpark. That one looks like it has been setting a long time. There is no chrome left on the cylinders. Is the exhaust uncovered as it appears? Clutches and brakes might be stuck also setting outside in a damp enviroment. Lots of good parts if you scrap it. The ACMOC site will be your friend with this one.
It's been sitting apparently for 15 years. Seller says it rolls, he's pushed it around. Ad also says engine turns over, but that's worth what it's worth. Not sure if it's worth the hassle of messing with, got plenty of projects as it is..... But if it doesn't find a home by this weekend, it'll get turned into paperclips.
The exhaust does have a drain. Maybe it got lucky and stayed open. Most get a leaf or crap in them and the engine is soon history. A friend just started a 2U D8 that sat in the woods near here for 15 years uncovered. I was sure it was stuck but it turned over by hand and a few hours later both the pony and it was running. The clutch is stuck on it though. If you can get it for scap price less hauling you got nothing to lose.
Now my heavy equipment/bulldozer experience is limited, so bear with me. I'm fairly certain that this thing has a pony motor (i think some had direct electrical star?), how would I test to see if the engine turns over? Can it be barred over like a big stationary engine/steam engine?
All 3Ts came with pony motors. A few have been converted to electric direct start later in life. If you pull the floor boards you should be able to put a bar on the clutch drive lugs coming out of the flywheel and turn it over. There is a compression release on the engine that says Start-Run. Putting it in start will release the compression.
Ok thanks, I have no use for the machine at all really, but I hate to know it's going to get scrapped, just bothers me. Are there any other tests/inspections I can do with it dead?