I've just acquired a d7E with the D339 4 cylinder. serial number is 48A10612. can anyone tell me about it ? also it seams to be low on power and blows more black smoke than I think is normal. the turbo is getting very hot. I'm trouble shooting and having trouble finding what the optimum oil pressure should be, can anyone help with this as well?
The probleme could be the air filter clogg and about turbo the small filter under should be clogg too
Bob, your D7E tractor was built in 1968 and is a 180HP "high HP" model. The earlier D7E was 160HP. Black smoke is indicative of inlet air restriction. Hectors advice is good, check your air filter elements (inner and outer) for clogging. A turbo getting hot is indicative of restricted intake air. Air filters can look O.K., but still have seriously restricted air flow due to fine particles clogging the filter media. These old Cats don't require high oil pressure, as many other engines do. They rely on substantial oil flow, not oil pressure. 30-45 psi is normal at full load RPM, it can drop to 5-10psi at idle and that's still adequate.
My bad, I commented on the other thread you have the same question posted on before I see this one.
thank you, guys, for the info! this is very helpful. I like this old machine seems to be in pretty good shape for its age. is there a good place to get aftermarket parts?
I would suggest the first thing you need is a Parts Manual - probably closely followed by an Operation & Maintenance Manual. Machines from this era are not included on the online system so to buy parts from anywhere, be that a Cat dealer or aftermarket, you will need to supply a Part Number first. The Parts Manual for 48A10612 is Cat Publication UE070003, applicable to 48A machines from 6393-Up. If you want the O&M Manual it is FE036129, again applicable to 48A machines from 6393-Up. These documents are downloadable from HERE , or you may be lucky and find them on an internet marketplace somewhere. If your tractor is fitted with a hydraulically-operated blade and/or a winch the parts for those attachments will not be included in the Parts Manual referred above. You will need to get the Serial Number of the hydraulic control (on a plate on the tank) or the winch to identify a suitable Parts Manual.
American Crane in the Kansas City area is where I got parts for my 48A, although I sold it about 5 years ago. My D7E was purchased new by my father in 1966; hated to see it go. But too expensive to keep it around for a plaything and too old for anyone but me to operate. I hope you get yours lined out and fall in love with that distinctive slow-turning 339 sound and turbo whistle.
I'd think there'd be several suppliers of aftermarket parts for a D7E. Offroad Equipment is often mentioned. Another member saved a bundle on a steel hyd. line going through them compared to getting it from Cat.
I'm following this thread, i just purchased a 1962 D7E directs drive (47A) , my problem is i have been chasing clogs in fuel line from tank sediment, almost looks like "Algae" as the tractor sat for a long time.
Bacteria in diesel that creates an algae-type slime is common here in Oz. We've got anti-bacterial additives to combat it. Water in the diesel assists in the creation of the bacterial slime. If it's in your fuel tank, a steam clean with a caustic cleaner added is a good idea. Penrite Diesel Fuel Treatment Biocide 1 LitreDefault Title Diesel Biocide Fuel Treatment is a diesel fuel additive that contains a Biocide to eliminate and stop bacterial growth (bugs, algae, bacteria, yeast, moulds and fungi) in diesel fuel and prevent their growth. It also contains a combination of ingredients to clean, lubricate and protect fuel... www.truckpartswarehouse.com.au
http://
I put some startron fuel tank cleaner in and I'm waiting to see results, it is hard to steam clean the tanks as it's baffled and can only get to one area of the tank.