Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D7F and D7G

Turbo_Drive · 2025-08-13 17:02

Im definitely out of my element here. I’m a Deere guy and have never owned anything bigger that 650’s, but have the opportunity to buy a 7F and a 7G. The F runs but will run hot whenever it’s put under a load. Needs some bottom roller and a few other things. The G has a good undercarriage on it and a fairly new transmission but the RH final drive needs replacing. My question is are the parts compatible? Thought about buying both dozers and fixing the G and just use the F as a parts machine. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2025-08-13 17:09

    All depends on the Serial Numbers. Do you have them.?

  2. #2Tones2025-08-13 17:13

    To get some meaningful answers it's probably best to post the serial numbers of both machines. I've read the later Fs had a different transmission from the earlier Fs.

  3. #3Turbo_Drive2025-08-13 18:45

    Ahh I gotcha, don’t have the serial #’s as of right now but I’ll get them tomorrow.

  4. #4Turbo_Drive2025-08-14 16:28

    Got some serial numbers for the machines now. D7G - 92V09800 D7F - 94N8464

  5. #5.RC.2025-08-15 02:40

    Some of the parts will be interchangable. That is a pretty late D7F. Of course the steering/brakes are totally incompatible, maybe the engine as well depending on at what S/N they went to the direct injection. I would hardly think it worth buying just for parts. In this day and age with considerable aftermarket support final drive gears and such are not stupidly expensive like in the old days when you were stuck buying genuine Cat gears. Your biggest drama will be finding the pullers to pull the finals down. I often wonder how many sets of pullers got scrapped over the years as planetary finals all took over.

  6. #6Nige2025-08-15 03:58

    Although the D7F is a later model with the improved transmission it still isn't the same as the transmission in the D7G. Just about the only thing that I can see that would swap are the final drive parts, but then again who's to say that the finals in the F are in good enough shape.?

  7. #7epirbalex2025-08-17 20:18

    You pretty much can't use the F as a parts support for the G . Even in the same " F " range of D7's its a problem using a second F for parts with so many stop gap measures taken till the G arrived . Getting another G without problems and perhaps buy the one you are looking at for a donor machine is a better choice .