Hi I took a punt on an old D7f and bought it based on photos and videos. been cleaning it up and have discovered the serial number that the seeller quoted me was wrong, the actueal serial number is 93N385 they quoted it as 93N1385. I have been had (silly me). The dozer is a fair bit earlier than I thought. Can anyone tell me what these old girls are like and what to be on the look out for. I've got a couple of D6C's and a D and had and old HD11B. Any info would help Thanks Rob
The difference in S/N will be important if you are looking for a Parts Manual. There is a break at 93N1174 where the engine changed from a D333 to a 3306, there may have been other changes as well. The Parts Manual for machines up to 93N1174 is Cat reference UEG0169S. If you can't find a paper one for sale they can be downloaded in pdf form.
Other then the engine, being a direct drive, I doubt there were any major changes over the production run.
Thanks, I did find a parts manual for the old girl. She is a bit ruff around the edges but i think she will clean up ok, hasn't had much tlc in recent times by the look of it. Is there any major problems that I should be looking out for (besides trans}?
The transmission problems that affected the early 94N-prefix D7F powershift machines will not affect yours seeing as it has a direct drive transmission, at least it is DD according to the Serial Number. Is it.?
Yes it is a DD. Looking at the parts manual that I for online they have a decelerator listed, was it a standard feture of the 7F? this old girl only has a hand throtle. There is also a fair bit of play in the linkages in places so I guess ill have to fill with a bit of weld and drill them back out. i'm waiting for the first parts to arrive to give her a good service and fix up the first few problems and then see what we find from there.
What transmission problems did the 94N have ? The D7F didn't use a D333 engine . Bad Bob
Not unusual for a direct drive not to have a decelerator. Just like a farm tractor does not usually have one.