Yes, a running Cat D9G was sold for that price, $3750, at an estate cleanup. Actually it had been setting for unknown number of years, 10 + or - ??? maybe. Judging from the size of the brush around it. Anyway, the new buyers went in and got it started and ran it out to the road for a lowboy to pickup. Lot of water in the engine oil they said. A 5 acre parcel held a dream land of junked antiques. A Link Belt 4800 excavator, Cat D9G, P&H Truck crane, Crawler Khoering crane, 4 Allis Chalmers AC 260 Scrapers, Scrapped steel buildings , pipe, engines, trucks, Cat 12-99E and Galion graders, International Drott crawlers. The Link Belt was a late '70's model ?? Sold for $4800 ?? The AC Scrapers were 1962 vintage, so looked like most of the stuff was from that time frame, '50's,'60's,70's. Anyway, scrappers are in there now, the big stuff has been sold off. At least someone had a chance to recycle a new life into it. :usa
That seems almost surreal. That's pretty cool that the old dozer fired up after all that sitting.
That's cheap, worth alot more than that @ scrap price
northart, Only in Alaska! I have taken many an equipment hunting trip there, and it never fails, you always find equipment. In 2002 I found over 20 Koehring excavators between Seward, Anchorage, and Fairbanks. I haven't found but 3 in North Carolina in 10 years. Keep the stories, and picture coming, John
I bet I could plunder around there all day! Hey what part of NC are you located?
Northart, Thanks for the picts. I'm thinking the Link-Belt excavator might be a LS4300. The 4800 machines were half mechanical and half hydraulic. That D9 looks like it might be a pretty good deal after some sweat equity is put into it.
I'll tell you what guys, with a little ingenuity and some grease under your nails these old guys can be put into a condition to run better, and are more repairable, than some of the newer stuff. Alot of my customers have survived these tough times because they have older iron, that has been well maintained, and they don't have the overhead costs associated with running a more current fleet. I'll tell you though, alot of guys are buying this stuff up at auctions, at dirt cheap prices, and sending it straight to the scrap yard. It isn't just the gas market that's going crazy!
Somebody told me the other day scrap was bringing $360 per ton. Un heard of! China is sucking it up
Late 70's would be a D9H
Late '70's, no. D9G, YES. Hi, Renfroe Grading. That is not a late '70's machine. It is an earlier D9G as evidenced by the front hydraulic tank. They were out-of-date by 1968, replaced by the side-mounted hydraulic tank to right of the fuel tank. I also have memories of those old swivel-tyne hinged rippers - not the most user-friendly gadget that Cat ever let anybody pump hydraulic oil through. Northart, Nice photos. Thanks for sharing. Glad that old girl escaped the scrappers.
There is a lot of scrap just laying on the ground around that place. Scrap steel prices are through the roof. I did a small mobile home demo and clean up on some property. We started throwing the metal to the side just to see how much we would get. Well I got a 30CY full of junk. When I say junk it was junk. Tin, trailer siding, appliances - mostly rusted out and all sorts of misc. metal. Loaded it up and went to the scrap yard. 5,820lbs of metal and got a check for $582. That is only $.10 per 1lb or $200 per ton, but this was really crappy stuff. It is good that the old dozer escaped the shear. I hope it brings the new owner many hours on its second life.
hey cm 1995 a moble home in alamama where did you find that I think yer lyin:drinkup hows the bride:drinkup
Equipment Age ? Hello Renfroe,John C, Deas Plant, The Link Belt is the late '70,s model; is what I was referring to. They did make a Link Belt 4800 as I did look on the internet, to check, as I never heard of one. Anyway the logo on the side says 4800. The cab windows were broken , looks like by kids, and from what I could see , the controls were just joysticks. Foot pedals for travel. There is another antique Link Belt 7200 ???? in Anchorage I seen .Huge one, like a 5-6 yd bucket. Anyway, amazing how some people collect things , for what purpose in life ?? There it got left. The guy died, divorced ?? from what I heard. Never got clear details . Anyway , whatever happened, now the property has to be cleaned up and sold. As to the Cat D9G that has an ATCO ripper on it, Like Deas said they wander all over when ripping. Not sure what else was wrong with it, as I just walked all around the brushy place just looking at what was there. I think the seller was just happy to have someone buy the stuff and help to clean up the place , as it was shocking to see the extent of junk there, all overgrown with heavy brush. A nightmare to him, maybe not what others would see. Another aspect of scrapping up here, is the distance from the real market. Cutting it up and moving it is an enormous logistical task and costly. Thats why lot of it just sets, can't make enough money off the scrap,(Varies according to scrap prices) to pay to move it, and make wages off the effort.
More junk Same place, some old 1962 vintage Allis Chalmers 260 scrapers. Had cable lip. Stick shift transmission. I did look up the serial number of one, just to see what year they were. I did run across an old friend of mine that said, he had run these very same scrapers in his younger days. At least he thought so , from our conversation , he said they were building the Parks Hwy up here in the wilderness. We call it the woods , nowadays , it's wilderness. LOL
Northart, When I was up in Fairbanks the pilot was saying basically that same thing. Stuff shows up up there but never gets shipped out so scrap and old equipment just sits up there.
The last load of heavy iron we took to the recycle yard brought $370 per ton... Earlier in the year, I had a D8H (46A) that had about 70% undercarriage and a new engine with a cracked head and the best price anyone offered for it was the scrap yard... What a shame!!! www.petersfamilytrucking.com
Mid 60's ,235 HP, Medford top , I had a 64' looked just like it. Really not worth putting much into but I know what you mean about taking it to the melter. I still have the radiator cap it's solid brass for those who have never seen one.
Well.......... I am doing my part, there is one less here now. Great pic!:drinkup That was a good time. The ol' lady is mean as usual.LOL Sorry for the hijack Northart.