Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat Dealer Needs Help

RDJ1966 ยท 2011-03-07 20:06

I don't know how to figure this out but I am trying to install a AMFM radio and two way radio in the D6R we just bought. Dealer says its build sheet says its radio ready and it does have the wires for the radio and speakers already in the headliner. I bought the radio from Cat Part #DD331-5292 and was told its 12 volt. I checked at the plug before installing and find I only have 24 volts. I am trying to come up with a plan and can't find the answers to my questions after calling two dealers. Is this radio 12 or 24 volts (instructions and tags say nothing about voltage or wiring) and does it require a memory wire? I can buy a converter and wire it into the plug for the radio but there is no hot wire up there that is on without the switch. Will the wire and fuse thats feeding the radio carry a two-way along with the radio if I get a converter large enough for both?

Replies9
  1. #1Lee-online2011-03-07 21:15

    What is the serial number of the D6R?

  2. #2RDJ19662011-03-07 21:31

    5ln01413

  3. #3Lee-online2011-03-07 21:58

    Your machine is radio ready but for 24V radios. You need to remove a jumper plug and plug in a 205-4285 converter. The converter and plug are located rearward of the fuse panel on the left side. The 6 pin plug has these wires 200-BK 200-BK 108-BU-16 102-RD-14 592-BU A513-PK And plugged into it is a jumper between A513-PK and 102-RD-14.

  4. #4Lee-online2011-03-07 22:03

    BTW, I did not check to see what voltage the radio is, I assume it is 12V. I just checked, it is 12V

  5. #5RDJ19662011-03-07 22:17

    Thanks for the help.

  6. #6d9gdon2011-03-08 05:53

    I had a D8R that had a 24 volt radio in it that went bad. I went to the dealer to get another one and they told me Cat quit making the 24 volt radio because the vibration was killing them because they run hotter than 12 volt. Made sense to me. I put in a $10 converter (the dealer had one that plugs right in for $250 from Cat) that I got from Radio Shack and wired it in. It worked perfect, but I never could figure out how to get it wired in where the keyswitch would turn off the power to it. The radio had a power button on it, so I just used it.

  7. #7Lee-online2011-03-08 18:18

    Weird. I haven't installed a radio in the last 5 years then we talk about radios and then today i install this exact same radio. Plug and play in a 420E.

  8. #8willie592011-03-08 20:07

    LoL...ain't karma a bitch Lee. So, let's discuss changing a busted drive motor hose on a 963 or something. Bah ha ha hahaha. :tong

  9. #9Lee-online2011-03-08 20:48

    They are easy, ive done a bunch over the years. Now a trans in a 988G is a pain. Big parts, alot of oil and climbing up and down and squeezing between the frame to get to the mounts. That will tire you out by the end of the day.