Hi folks, I have the volvo software for diagnostics and parts/service manual (VCADS, Prosis) but I need to get similar for cat equipment. Can anyone tell me what these are, do they come as seperate sytems, eg. parts manuals and service manuals on discs whats it called? and diagnostic software and connectors what to cat call this. Thanks in advance Bert.
You need what's known as ET (Electronic Technician) software loaded on your pc. You will also need a Communication Adapter to hook up the pc to a machine. I'm not sure on pricing these days but a new comms adapter will probably come close to €1000. The software is probably about the same or a bit more to buy plus there is an annual subscription to keep it valid that's probably in the region of €500. Recently Cat have got cute and a countdown clock appears on the main ET screen showing how many days you have left before your subscription expires. For service and parts information you need access online to Cat SIS which is available from your dealer. If you are a good customer of a particular dealer you can often get it for free
Cat is putting most of the diagnostic software in the machines now and for everyday stuff like troubleshooting sensors or chasing fault codes you do not need all the bells and whistles. Everything you need to troubleshoot excavators can be accessed in the monitor panel since they came out with the B series. You don't need a code book for the newer loaders and dozers as the panels will display the code numbers and with a push of a button will tell what it means. What you should get even if it costs you money is access to SIS. All the books are available there which will contain all the information necessary to keep your particular machine running.
Thankyou for your help
I need the SIS for parts and service info, but I will still need the ET because although we specialize in volvo equipment we have customers running cat as well, typically over 3 years old. You need to plug in a laptop to reset the bucket autos.
If you are talking about the kickouts in a Cat wheel loader, as I recall they are set with the switches inside the cab. The process will be explained in SIS for you and then you can decide what you actually need to purchase. The process for troubleshooting or recalibrating the control levers may require the laptop and software. I haven't had my hands on the loaders much. But again access to SIS and a thorough read will help you make an informed purchase.
John, to calibrate the linkage position sensors and the proportional solenoid valves on the loader product line requires the use of ET.
Also I have a 950H with a boom suspension fault and it is going to be having a engine rebuild in the next few weeks, I need to get myself sorted with the relevant information asap.
As I said before, if you are a good customer the local dealer will often give you access to SIS-web free of charge. Unfortunately the same can't be said for ET which costs the proverbial arm and a leg.
I don't know what it's like in Europe nowadays but here in Aus Cat are vetting every application for a (non-parts) SIS license and if they consider you to be any sort of competitor to their service department, they won't approve the sale. As far as ET goes, they just flat out refuse to sell the comm adapter and indeed any other diagnostic cables.
Thats the problem being an independent sourcing some of the info can be challenging.
epatalogs online will likely be able to source all what you need. From browsing their site they seem pretty well fixed up for most software.
Thankyou for the info.
I second epcatalogs. Plus they will set you up with the dealer version.
Thankyou nowing75