Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat e120b starting issue go

Joe916 ยท 2018-07-10 14:33

So I've been an auto mechanic most of my life and have just recently drove into the world of heavy machinery and I'm stumped im working on a e120b with starter issues and it has new batteries. So far I've checked ground at the starter, I have 24 volts on the big power wire at the starter but I also have ground on the two smaller wires on the starter. When I turn the key the solenoid in the dash clicks but it will not turn over( this just all of a sudden started) is it the obvious and just needs a starter??

Replies8
  1. #1Cat_man3202018-07-10 14:55

    Did you try jumping the solenoid at the starter? jump from the big hot wire to the small solenoid wire . the sol at the starter should engage and the starter should turn . make sure the fuel is off . Check for 24v at the hot wire at the starter too . If the starter works fine when you jump it , then you have a broken connection somewhere from the ignition down to the sol on the starter . It might be a pain to find it if it's in the harness . you could also put a direct wire from the ignition down to the sol but you hear a click up by the key so there is a good change the power goes through a relay up by the ign. if that's the case then there is no power from that relay to the sol on the starter .

  2. #2Joe9162018-07-10 22:13

    Thanks you cat man the crazy thing is I checked it earlier and that small terminal is grounded I tried to jump it and got what looked like a welding arc

  3. #3mikebramel2018-07-11 09:50

    If it solenoid is being energized you should have a voltage drop on the starter solenoid feed when the solenoid is pulled in

  4. #4Cat_man3202018-07-11 10:43

    Are there any more wires going to the starter other than the large hot cable and the small wire that energises the sol? if there are more wires , disconnect them and try again , seems strange that sol would arc like that unless it's stuck in or something . couple of raps of a hammer wouldn't hurt just to let the starter know you're there . lol

  5. #5Dancing Digger2018-07-17 03:24

    Hello Joe I'm new here.... The bendix (starter cog) could be jammed in the teeth of the flywheel, try turning the engine the oppesite direction to normal running and you should hear a noise or click if it comes free or loosen the starter and give it a shake it will free it.

  6. #60072018-07-17 08:06

    If you still need help post a picture of the starter motor where the wires are attached.

  7. #7Joe9162018-08-08 02:44

    hey guys sorry i did not post my results earlier. Thanks for all the help though. So the machine i was working on is WELL used and after locating a wiring diagram and taking the dash apart i found a circuit breaker that was tripped. So after many hours all it took was pushing a little red button and resetting the breaker. Now the question why is it tripping? Well a large exhaust leak BBQ'D part of the wiring harness...... job security right

  8. #8Catskinner8122018-08-08 07:52

    I may have a harness or most of a harness for that machine if you need it. I had an EL200B and I bought a lot of parts from a salvage yard. When I did come across a parts machine compatible with mine I bought all I could get my hands on. They are good machines if the electronics were taken care of. You may try southeastern equipment company out of Chesapeake Va. as they had a donor machine last time I was on their lot.