Just put 50+ hours into an engine repair, and although plenty of odds and ends were fixed, initial problem is still present. CAT C13 LEE12472 (Truck engine, sorry). Initially truck began making chugging noise from air intake, steady and loud, puh puh puh puh, no noticeable loss of power or smoke of any kind, sounds like exhaust is escaping past valves into intake manifold. Removed valve cover and found 10 broken intake valve springs, one broken injector spring, replaced injector and complete cylinder head, 12 pushrods, two damaged roller lifters (cam lobes all checked out okay). Sound is still present . Cylinder cutout out test was not helpful, sound is present while cranking as well. Im inclined to now remove camshaft, is it possible the cam gear has moved, teeth damaged, timing!?? Thanks.
Check your air compressor? If it pulls air from the intake manifold you could have a bad intake valve in the compressor head......
Good idea, but I believe the air compressor runs of of the crankcase air. I have the air compressor intake disconnected while this sound is happening, I will double check though.
Or The valvelash is terrible tight, most acert cat engines really Dont accept any timing faults, if the camshaft is off by only a Thooth it wont start Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Exhaust lobe was wiped out on number #4 cylinder. I didn't check out cam good enough the first time obviously.
Did you do a valve set after the repair ? Was #4 exhaust adjusting screw in way more than others ?
It wouldn't be because you set the clearance on the heel of the cam which would (probably) not be worn.
When I read the OP the first thought that went through my mind was that will that level of damage upstairs (especially the lifter rollers) it was next to impossible that the cam was good. Usually when a C-series sh1ts itself upstairs you're looking at a replacement camshaft along with all the other obviously broken bits. And TBH if it was my engine it would be getting a set of injectors to go with the replacement cylinder head, not just one.
Yes very true I forgot about the fact he mentioned he had done rollers as usually if a cam is damaged the roller also is but with new 2 rollers you wouldn't know or if somehow the roller was still in decent shape
Yes sir, this has turned into an in frame overhaul in addition to some other parts. Basically, when I checked out the camshaft from above I didn't roll engine over 360 to check the other side, so I missed the damaged lobe. Rookie move on my part, ended up dropping pan and looking up from underneath. Bad news is is I cant change more hours for the R&I of head, good news is I'm getting more work as customer requested in frame now.
Exactly, it fooled me. THIS TIME!!!
Now you is experienced in this area.... we all have our collection of these moments yeah?
Well I'm building too large of a collection, I guess I just LOVe learning the hard way.
Preachin' to the choir my friend, us old guys will join you in a chorus or two :tong
C13 is an engineer's pipe dream that should've stayed an idea. IMO of course.