Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat engine info?

Desertwheeler · 2014-04-17 08:30

So out of curiosity what engines were in what machines and year range. I know they used Perkins for a while and then Mitsubishi. I was trying to figure out the year ranges. I have an 08 226b2 I got a smokin deal on and want to know if it has a Perkins which I think it does but not for sure. Thanks!

Replies13
  1. #1Nige2014-04-17 09:49

    You are aware I suppose that Cat now 100% owns Perkins. They're referred to as Perkapillars in the trade. That's what your SSL most likely has.

  2. #2Desertwheeler2014-04-17 09:53

    Thanks Nige. You know if they all had reliability issues or if it's the earlier ones?

  3. #3Nige2014-04-17 10:09

    There are members on here with much more experience than I have regarding the whole Cat SSL/MTL line. I'm sure one of them will chime in. I seem to recall an issue with engine oil pumps but whether that had been addressed by the time your machine was made I'mnot sure. All I can say is that we have 4 x 246C/256C machines all bought new from 2008-onwards and we've had no engine issues with any of them.

  4. #4John C.2014-04-17 21:39

    Last I heard the B2 machines had either a Mitsubishi or a Kubota engine. Perkins was a very reliable engine in almost any application I've seen them in except the small Cat SSL line. The 216 skids is where I've heard many a horror story. I know there are many in this forum who have direct experience and if you run a search here on Perkins you will see a sizable thread with lots of good info.

  5. #5Desertwheeler2014-04-18 01:15

    So mine might be a Mitsubishi? Then?

  6. #6Mobiltech2014-04-18 09:59

    The 226b2 has a 3024c engine which I think is the perkapillar 2.2 L. The larger skids get a 3.3L Mitsubishi. From what I've read cat owns 60% of Mitsubishi and 100% of perkins

  7. #7Desertwheeler2014-04-18 11:42

    We'll knock on wood I don't have big issues with it. I know it's a bit tired 3600 hrs on her but she runs strong still.

  8. #8old-iron-habit2014-04-18 17:37

    Didn't Cat buy Perkins in the late 90s when the started the Olympic generator series with Perkins power units. I read something a month or two ago that Cat recently sold or was selling off Perkins again. Anybody else hear that. I don't know if it truth or rumor.

  9. #9Joeyslushr2014-04-18 19:07

    I ran a 226b for a few thousand hours. Cracked the block at around 1000hrs. Never did hear y but cat put a new engine in it. Never had problems with it after that, that I can remember

  10. #10ih1002014-04-19 14:59

    Rumour.

  11. #11Mobiltech2014-04-19 18:28

    Caterpillar A supplier to Caterpillar Inc. since the 1970s, Perkins was bought by Caterpillar in 1998 for US$1.325 billion, creating what they claimed was the world's largest diesel engine manufacturer. With an ever-expanding global footprint Perkins now has manufacturing facilities in the United Kingdom, United States, Brazil, China, India and a joint venture with Ishikawajima-Shibaura-Machinery company in Japan. On January 1, 2009 (replacing Hans Haefeli), Gwenne Henricks became President of Perkins Engines[5] after having worked in Caterpillar’s Electronics and Connected Worksite Division in North America. Gwenne is also a vice-president of Caterpillar.[6]

  12. #12old-iron-habit2014-04-19 19:37

    Glad to here that.

  13. #13PDG X2014-04-21 22:28

    Always check the ENGINE Serial Number Plate. It will always tell you who BUILT the engine, whether it be Perkins, Mitsubishi, or Kubota. I believe it's an EPA requirement.