So, I have no codes or issues with this 322C excavator, but I generally start getting "locked and loaded" before anything happens as we fix all our own stuff here. I will be immensely handicapped without sensor data. even today, it would be extremely helpful just to log certain pressures and such so I have some baseline data. We have EFI live but I have yet to find any hardware or other information on EFI. I am also a little confused if the exact same plug, pinput, etc are used for the engine ECM and "pump controller" on the excavator? I would assume most cat construction birds also have a similar controller to manage variable pumps and such. This is one of the reasons I wanted a Komatsu. They have all the diagnostics in the monitor. Unless someone knows a way to get all this data through it? Right now all I get is 2 pump pressures and engine rpm....yay!
You should be able to see pretty much all switch and sensor status through the monitor. Here's an outline.
Ah, appears my previous reply did not post. I have been through the monitor and entered service mode to gather any set codes, etc. I am able to monitor engine rpm and pump pressures. That is all that I see. There was not an extensive list of sensors that I found. Hopefully I missed something? I did confirm in the wiring diagram that appears both system controllers are linked so there is a single diagnostic port common to both, and that link is also provided to the monitor so technically the data is available to the monitor, but.....
In "service mode" in my post above, the sub-menu item "switch status" lets you monitor the state of 33 pressure switches and the sub-menu item "Status" lets you monitor 30 sensors and actuators.
As far as an alternative to ET goes, you will need to find a tool that communicates with CDL (Cat Data Link).
Really appreciate it! I will throw my butt in there tomorrow and give that another go! I must have given up to quickly. I really need to get the downloads on the manuals on that one. Just been busy around here.
*post #4 should have been "switches", not "pressure switches"*
As I recall, in service mode there is a section that says monitor mode. You can watch in real time what ever item you think need watching. I seem to remember a field tech telling me that there can be a problem or two that will not present a fault code and the only way of finding the problem it to watch the operation in the monitor mode.
Cmark was correct that there are about 30 each switch states and sensor data, but they don't label anything, just a number so I will have to chase down books to figure anything. Some of the sensor data seems to be rather mundane like "normal" or "ok".... That is not really helpful for meaningful diagnostics. I can see where plugging in would be a better option to likely view simultaneous values. One minor issue I want to fix, though probably not part of the diagnostics, is the HVAC vent actuator. I put it on defrost or whatever and nothing changes. Always blows from the same vents. And it looks like they buried that unit! The control panel shows it changing, but change it does not. lol
The HVAC system on the C series machines has its own diagnostic system. I'll try to post it. I don't think this works on every C series excavator.
John, I appreciate it. I evaluated the test procedure and attempted to apply it even though it is not consistent with the controller I have. I then attempted every possible combo I can think of as it seems a combination of 2 buttons should enter the diag mode. Was never able to get there. I further figured I could just grab a pic online of my control unit. Nope. This is the design with 2 rotary knobs. There is not a temp up and temp down switch because they are the same rotary switch. Curious if you have a procedure for that critter? At this point I am baffled because I tried about every combo. Turned key on, turned control power off, then tried different combos.
How about a serial number?
I PMd the serial to ya.
Rotary knobs in a C model excavator? That's something I don't recall seeing before. It kind of indicates to me at least that you might have a gray market machine. I have seen some different panels though that didn't work the same as the description in the code lists that I sent.
It's not a grey market machine John. It came down the line in Aurora in December 2003. Here's the heating & aircon control panel from the O&M.
I think I've seen that model in the D series machines. The knobs don't click into place, they are basically a reostat and operate smoothly through the turning circle. Those might have the diagnostics integrated into the monitor panel.
Yep, Nige has it spotted. The knobs do have detents but I believe they are pulse generators, not potentiometers because there are no stops on them and the fan speeds do not roll up or down with each click. Like to bump the fan a couple clicks and it slowly accelerates the fan. It would seem the fan motor is PWM controlled. All of them seem to work fine though it was a learning curve. Just odd. You also push the knobs down. One is system on/off, other one seems to only work to cancel "auto" mode and go back to user defined temp and fan speed.
I've never seen one of those control panels either. I've found some troubleshooting info that I'll PM you.
Do you have an Operation & Maintenance Manual..? Here's the section for the aircon/heat controls.
Nige no, and thank you sir! Cmark got me all fixed up on documents!! Thank you sir! When I first checked codes, I had a 128 error, which is a comm issue. That was the only code. I cleared that and it did not return. I then when through the parameters and 16P (blower over current) is showing a 1 for over current, but the blower seems to work fine. Parameter 02P (blower door) is showing a value of 255 which the docs indicate is fully closed. I stepped out of diagnostics and turned on the fresh air switch and moved to a different blower mode and it remains at 255. Basically the display appears to move through settings fine, and everything seems to work other than the "blend door" or whatever you might call it that should move air to different vents depending on the mode. I seem you have air at the main front vent towards me, some on the floor, and some at the back/top. It is fixed at that position. It sounds like the typical issue we have seen in trucks where the actuators go bad. I am still confused on the blower overload though. If that is actually the actuator, that could be consistent in that it is trying to move it and it is hung up. These cabs are NOT fun to work in so I am curious where this critter might be? How much fun? We are having some rare good weather here so would be nice to sort the issue in the next couple of days. I think the defrost would be needed in cold weather. I do know the AC was not working, or at least blowing cold, but I confirmed it was running the compressor so I might need to throw gauges on so if the evaporator has an issue, I can get that at the same time. Hoping to find something a little simpler to repair though.
This is the O&M Manual for your machine. $69 for a pdf download that you can access immeidately.Money well spent IMO.
You bet! But the link no worky if there is one? Love to just find some PDFs of what i need but always gotta watch the online sources. Also not sure how many manuals exist for this machine? I recall when I got books for a 200 series, it was like 10 books! A guy said "I will send what I have" and I needed a forklift for them....lol But I most certainly NEED books! I was just trying to figure out if this AC system is TXV or orifice tube. Just working blind here.
Sorry there wasn't a link. Just put it up as an example. Go to - https://catpublications.com/ When the popup appears click on "Continue as Guest" Type SEBU7433 in the box and click Search. The illustration above should pop up. This site only has Parts and O&M Manuals. No service manuals and I have no idea why.
When I've seen people working on the A/C units, they had the seat out and all the panels removed to expose the components. The biggest issue I've heard of is dirt in the actuators from not ever cleaning or replacing the cab filters.
Filters on an AC unit. Now why on Earth would anyone want to replace those.?
Yup, when I did the cab cleanout on this one, that filter appeared to be a forgotten soul. Getting to that system does not look fun at all so trying to decide if I try it this winter or just wait for spring. I know when I had to take a couple side panels off to fix the monitor, I got rather pissed with that setup.
I have had several out over the years. Most are always full of mud. Seems like the cab filters always get neglected. It is a pain in the butt job. But once done will be good for many years.
........??? We change fresh air cab filters every 250 hours and recirc filters every 500 hours. It isn't that dusty here and they always come out well dirty. You do realize that there are two filters in that system I hope..... one outside and one inside the cab.
Well since they made the fresh air filter so fun, I can see why they get ignored! Remove the pump controller just to get to it!
There's actually a door on the back of the cab, secured with one bolt and a hinge which is pretty easy to get to. You may find however that the filter isn't too dirty as the seals aren't worth a carrot.
There is only one louvered panel on the back of the cab that is roughly 4" wide and 12" tall. I first guessed the top bolt was all it had and the bottom "probably" just had a tab. Nope, there is a bolt I cannot even see and barely touch with my hand on the bottom. Only way to access it is remove the controller. I mean, I could probably get creative BUT what was CAT thinking here?
Yes, I already got to the interior filter. It looked as people have imagined. Nige, if you have a page link on that attachment, that would be super! That things does not look fun and if I have an evaporator issue, it looks like pulling the lines, then the entire unit is the only play.
That's the one. If you remove the top bolt, it should hinge forward enough to remove the filter. The hinge might be rusted solid.
Now if you had an O&M manual the procedure would be right there for you ............ If you need to remove the complete HVAC unit .............
This Cat was last on the list today but I got a chance you get the vac pump on it, everything pulled down and held good. Then threw 12oz in it to see what it does. Compressor pulls right down which means it is likely a good one, and I can hear the evap drinking it up. When I got to the system, there was not even a glimmer of pressure in it. I expected a big leak but seems this one might need the sniffer.