I have a cat excavator 312 it’s considered gray iron. I have changed the hydraulic oil and filter now after machine warms up the hydraulic pump whines. I cleaned the screen that was in the tank can someone tell me if and where is there a screen in the pump itself. I have ran the machine worked all the cylinders even let the pressure cap loose and back on. Still whines
Good day Conawaylk You do not mention if you have checked that the tank has become pressurised when you stroke the cylinders, are you sure you have the correct grade of fluid. Kind regards Uffex
Explanation it may look a little different but the principle is the same. KR Uffex
Ok. Can you tell me is there a screen in the pump.
You said the problem started after changing the oil. What oil did you put in it.? AFAIK there is no suction screen between the one in the tank and the implement pump.
Here is a picture of the bucket hydraulic oil was in all was new oil.
Another example of "Joe Blow's Gas & Groceries" finest ...........
I put 15w-40 in our 315cl
Looks like the stuff that cost 3 bucks a gallon.
This is going to be a live and learn experience. I hope I didn’t hurt the hydraulic pump I’m going to caterpillar and get the right oil. I want to thank everyone for there input. I will post the the results.
You don’t necessarily have to go to Cat for oil, any good name brand from one of the major oil companies will do just fine. Should be an SAE10W viscosity.
Nige is that oil from your shop may be Granville delivered by mistake KR Uffex
I don’t think the barrel of oil would fit in the basket on the front of his delivery bike....
New post: I have a Cat D7E dozer serial# 48A8929 it acts like a brake is on or something park brake is off both pedals fill fine I pulled the pans under your feet there is little smoke coming from there does not smell like motor oil I don’t know. When u throttle engine up it acts like engine is under a load and the tracks barley move with it in neutral.
I would start a new thread that way anyone who may have had that issue are seeing it rather than those who are looking at 312 cat threads. Also buying oil can be tricky, I always match specs, for instance if Deere has a J20C spec I look for a bucket with J20C listed on the pail. This is were as a technician I feel if you can spend 20k on a 312 Cat a $500 Service manual should be reasonable.
What do the specs. on the oil say?