Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat Fabricated Tools FT1537 and FT1539

kshansen ยท 2021-04-14 09:42

Anyone have these or the drawings for them? FT1537 and FT1539 Trying to help someone with an injection pump problem and SIS says you need these tools to remove the drive gear from the injection pump to remove it from engine. I know sometime the "FT" tools can be made pretty easy if one has the drawings or even a good clear picture.

Replies6
  1. #1Per Eriksson2021-04-14 15:40

    found ft1537 atleast

  2. #2kshansen2021-04-14 20:02

    Thanks the socket they are modifying appears to be a simple 1/2 inch drive 3/4 inch socket. So that would probably be easy to fabricate from any old socket. One thing that I found that is a bit confusing is this page out of the Dealers Hand Tool pdf I have: What is strange in the text at the top it says for 45V engines to use FT1537 Socket but then in the list of tools it shows a FT1823 socket. Have to wonder if the 1823 is a slightly different version of the 1537? Maybe just using a different socket as the starting point? the 1537 starts with a 8H8552 socket. Also I note that the for the 45V they say to use the FT1539 tool that looks to be a pipe plug with a hole bored through the center and two little rods tacked to it.

  3. #3Per Eriksson2021-04-15 15:32

    I think they do it like this, remove plug in timing cover loosen pump and drive adapter housing put socket ft1537 on shaft nut install ft1539, put an extension through it into the socket loosen shaft nut and unscrew it, doing that will push the shaft backwards since the socket is stopped by ft1539 and it will pop the gear off the shaft

  4. #4Per Eriksson2021-04-15 15:34
  5. #5Per Eriksson2021-04-15 15:35

    the 2 small rods is just so you can hold it so it doesn't turn with the socket.

  6. #6kshansen2021-04-15 19:55

    Thanks for confirming what I was thinking! So I guess the real difference in procedures depends on the type of hole in the front cover.