Machine SN: A120A-00201 (mangled tag) rant Why is it that some people think that the don't need fuses? Do they really think that they are so good at wire routing to never, ever chafe a wire and short something out? Why also do people find it "necessary" to run a wire all the way back to the battery if they need a ground? The block or chassis/frame not good enough? I am tired of finding everything from added wires with ring terminals on the battery cable clamp bolts to sheet metal screws run into the lead post. On the hot side, I guess they don't even know how to put in a fusible link, much less a simple in-line fuseholder! /rant Ok, that felt ok...I have a CAT GP40 that someone worked on...my own people I think, although nobody claims it, that had a significant meltdown. One of the welders ran over to the shop in a panic and said "There's smoke coming out of the steering wheel!". I rush over and find smoke indeed, coming from under the dash/gauge panel. And a guy with a battery powered leaf blower trying to clear the smoke. Did he D/C the battery? Nope...I did. Too late, much too late. Not only insulation gone, but copper actually melted in two. Lost all color coding on some wires. There is a small harness under the dash, but so far, it's obsolete. I will have to build it I think. Molex connectors and pins burned, trashed. Found a few wires run to unfused power sources and wires directly back the battery on Pos and Neg posts. I really thought it was about ready to flame up. Going to need a diagram to sort this out. I want everything to work correctly when I am finished. I have no real problem rewiring it, it's just tedious. I have or can get all the connectors and wiring I need once I have a diagram. Anyone able to help?
You may be up against a problem or two here Tony.............. 1. Forklift information is not contained in the same system as the information for everything else. It seems as though mere mortals can't get aaccess to it. 2. That Serial Number you quoted doesn't seem to match up to anything I know of. Can you post a photo of the plate.?
Greetings Nige! I dunno about this one. The tag is in pretty bad shape. Maybe I'm misreading it. This is a poor example of a lift. First time I worked on it a few years ago, I was very surprised to find a Chevrolet engine under the hood. I put a steering cylinder on it several years ago. Tag pics attached. Kind of figured lifts are separate from the other equipment. I have Darr and Holt nearby, and neither of them could turn up anything on lift trucks.
Unless someone else can help you're going to have to ask either one of them where you can get parts/service information for this lift truck, because I've got jack.
So I would go on machinery trader, and try to find someone with your exact lift for sale. Engine, transmission, close in year, etc. Then take that serial # to a cat forklift dealer. Weise USA is our local dealer for cat lifts (at least they used to be). It at least gives you a place to start.
A link to a genuine OEM Service Manual for various lift truck models including the GP40. I post the link more to illustrate the Serial Numbers listed. They bear no relatoin to what's on Tony's S/N plate. To make it even worse if you look at the photo of the Index page it apparently doesn't even include an electrical schematic, a fact that I find unbelievable. CAT Caterpillar GP40 GPL40 DPL40 DP40 DP45 DP50 Forklift Shop Service Manual | eBay All sections complete. www.ebay.co.uk
I've seen several SM's that have little or no wiring information. That's the main reason I need one at times. Not sure why they omit that on any manual. It seems pretty basic. I have a local forklift shop I can talk with to see if they can help.They're not CAT certified that I know of, but are pretty solid. I know a good forklift mechanic as well, but he came up empty on this one. I do find it odd that the SN is "off".
Here is an "identical" lift, from MT. Appears to be a close match to mine. SN is AT29A - 00282 I suppose the A129A on my tag is being misread. Maybe it should be AT29A. It looks damaged on the "T", so might be a T rather than 1 as I thought.
The only thing I can think of is that the maybe electrical schematic is something very basic and is included in either the Power Train or the Vehicle Systems module of the service manual, but that is pure speculation on my part.
That very well could be. I wouldn't consider it a true service manual without all diagrams. Some of the machines I service are very complex and a separate manual is needed for the controls, and I have seen the engine wiring part of a separate power train manual. That's true enough, especially when the machine is built using another company's power plant. For example, I have a Vermeer trommel screen with a Deere engine. Works out that both the machine manual and the engine manual are needed at times.
Try.... CAT GP40 FORKLIFT CATERPILLAR SERVICE ENGINE REPAIR SHOP MANUAL PDF USB | eBay NOT PRINTED! MANUALS ARE LOADED AS PDF'S ON A USB FLASH DRIVE. ENGINE SERVICE MANUAL 204 PAGES. ENGINE SERVICE MANUAL 135 PAGES. ENGINE SERVICE MANUAL 78 PAGES. www.ebay.com
Thanks TD. Ordered it today.
Give some feedback on the quality when you get it Tony. I am always a bit wary of that type of manual knowing the price of genuine OEM ones.
Good quality, I have the same manual for another forklift CAT
Pardon me for doubting you but I'll believe it when I hear it from Tony himself. I have plenty of experience with knock-off Cat manuals out of Eastern Europe and, up until now, it has been universally bad.
Oh, I’ll be posting about it. I have my suspicions. Always do when a seller offers electronic manuals. Takes less than pennies to reproduce and sell repeatedly. Very rich margin.
OK) for example , from EP16K
OK guys...I received the flash drive with the .pdf's of the manuals. I will say that the coverage was pretty good, as it has the diesel, propane and gasoline options for this lift. They are obviously scans of a genuine Caterpillar manual(s). I can find one complaint however. This would probably hold true for any scan other than a truly hi-res scan. The schematics would normally be either a fold-out 11 x 17 or a single C or D size plot. On a monitor, the schematic is not that great unless it is enlarged, then the scan resolution makes it very blurry. Zooming out it's fairly clear, but very small alpha-numeric characters are near impossible to read. A scan of more than 600 DPI would be an improvement. It's good enough for what I'll do, but a bit of hassle zooming in and out. I should take the needed pages and have them plotted at a copy shop I think. Maybe that would be the solution. The remainder of the material is quite adequate and seems complete. My review and opinion
Thanks so much for the reply, it seems to be a lost art in some cases. Would you consider contacting the seller, and outlining the facts? Not so much as expecting a replacement, but that he might be able to improve his offering for others. If I were he; I would certainly appreciate it and if able to improve my offerings, point to it as a selling point. Lets face it; the better you provide the more you sell, and at a premium.
Agree on all points. This is an eBay seller, so I will put that same note in their feedback.
Just noticed Tyler, TX location/. Hope the roses are good this year, were in 2010 as wfe and I toured.
It’s getting that time of year. We’ve had a good crop of roses the last few years. It’s a big deal here, with a festival and parade. There is a Rose Queen and court. Our municipal rose garden (largest public collection) is 14 acres with about 40,000 bushes. Traditionally, Spring favors the Azalea Trails more heavily than the roses. Their best season is in Fall, usually mid to late October. Bluebonnets and Dogwoods put on a good show in Spring also