Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat grader info

DShelley ยท 2014-03-16 14:45

Hi all, I bought a cat grader from a local excavating contractor a couple of years ago. I was told it was a 1953 cat 212. I need to replace the cutting edges and I am having trouble locating them. I called the nearest Cat dealer and gave them the serial # and was told it was an incomplete number. The # on the tag is 9T4776. Above the number on the tag is Chile: M.R. Mexico-Marca Registrada. The moldboard is 10' long with two 5' cutting edges. I live on a private gravel road almost a mile long and bought it to maintain the road. The pony motor is temperamental and I usually pull it to get it started which is very easy. It works very well and is fun to use but it's a killer to turn around. Can power steering be put on these? Thanks for any info, Dan

Replies12
  1. #1Radrock2014-03-16 17:45

    Wow, I have never heard of a grader with a 10' moleboard. But I have seen several Cat 12 in my life. I would check to insure the bolts are 5/8" (which is nomal on that) and check the spacing on the holes. I have never seen any cat 12 bits with any different bolt pattern. All edges should work on it. Your problem being you probably can't locate 5' long bits. how ever It think you could put two 6' bits on it and just torch the excess off. It will still fit other that the outside will lose one bolt as there are two on the outside edges. A cat 12 is pretty light so I don't think you would ever break them out. I'm sure you would want only 1/2'' thick blades but you can get them in 6" or 8" tall. Good luck.

  2. #2sheepfoot2014-03-16 19:21

    I can remember some add on kits for power steering on the old graders, I seem to think you cut the steering shaft about 5' from the steering wheel and installed a bracket along with a hyd motor valve with some hoses and a pump that ran off the engine pulley. Seems like it had a 3 or 4 to 1 less effort into and out of that hyd motor valve. I'm sure some that have run some graders in the late 60's may remember a mite fit upgrade to give some relief to the steering on old construction and farm equipment. I would the same on the blade, find a bolt pattern that works and cut the extra off if needed.

  3. #3DonBC2014-03-16 19:39

    I would think that cutting edges would be somewhat generic. I have an Allis D grader and my book shows 5' cutting edges. My machine had a 12' moldboard which I found too wide for lane work so I cut 1' off each end. This leaves me with a single bolt at the ends and so far no problems. If and when I need new cutting edges I will try to get 5' and drill for the extra bolt. If they are not available I will go for 6' and cut them back to 5'. I know what you mean by armstrong steering. I adapted power assist from parts from a scrapped sp combine and a truck power steering pump. I can now turn the wheels lock to lock with one finger even when the grader is stationary. What a treat. A lot more fun to drive.

  4. #4Cmark2014-03-17 01:21

    It's a good serial number. Just needs a zero in front making it 09T04776. It's too old to show up on the parts counter computer though. The parts guy will have to look back through the microfiche. Cat list two 5' x 6" x 1/2" cutting edges. One with 5/8" bolt holes is 9W2295. The other with 3/4" bolt holes is 9W2296. You'd have to confirm the bolt hole centers, but I would guess you would be OK.

  5. #5DShelley2014-03-17 18:26

    Can anyone tell me if in fact I have a Cat 212 and the year it was made from the serial #? The serial number doesn't have a 0 in front. It just has 9T4776.

  6. #6old-iron-habit2014-03-17 19:21

    Caterpillar numbered things differently on the graders. The 12 is based on a D6 engine size. The 112 uses a D4 engine and the 212 used a D2 engine. The 212 is about the same size as the small Allis Chalmers graders. Just over 13,000 lbs with ripper. The 212 went into production in 1947. My 212 serial number is 9T03427 is a 1952 model. I'm guessing you have a 1953 or 1954.

  7. #7Radrock2014-03-18 11:34

    Here is a page from the Cat Performance handbook but it doesn't show your model. Maybe an older one does.

  8. #8Nige2014-03-18 18:17

    How thick are your existing cutting edges, 1/2", 5/8", or 3/4"..? Also what bolt diameter do they use, 5/8" or 3/4" - and how many bolts are there in the edge..? I think you will find there are 11 bolts. There are 5ft long curved cutting edges available in either 6" or 8" depth with thickness varying between 1/2" and 1", and bolt size either 5/8" or 3/4". It ought to be possible to figure out what you need pretty easily.

  9. #9DShelley2014-03-19 12:50

    There are 11 bolts 5/8 dia.. The widest part of the old cutting edges in the center is about 4 1/2", obviously very worn. They are curved, 5/8 thick.

  10. #10Nige2014-03-19 13:24

    Thank you sir, that enables me to tell you that you require a 7D-4509 cutting edge (x 2 obviously) or the equivalent from an aftermarket supplier. That Part Number edge is 5ft long, curved, 8" deep, 5/8" thick, and each one fixes to the moldboard with 11 x 5/8 bolts + associated hardware. You need 3F-5108 Plow Bolts, 5P-8247 Washers, & 4K-0367 Nuts. 7D-4509 is a DH-2 edge, if you want high-carbon steel then the Part Number (as mentioned above by CMark) is 9W-2295. Generally speaking DH-2 material will have better wear resistance than high-carbon steel, but either option will physically fit.

  11. #11DShelley2014-03-19 20:43

    Thanks for all the help. Any suggestions as to sources. I am in Washington State.

  12. #12Jim D2014-03-21 00:16

    I have a friend who has about the same machine, It has a power steering conversion on it, It's a push-pull hydraulic cylinder, pushing and pulling on a steering arm attached to the steering shaft, at the front of the machine. The conversion looks like it is a 'one-off'. Where the gear box would be, there is an arm fastened to the steering shaft. There is a 3" dia or so hydraulic cylinder, with one end clevis to the steering arm, and the other end pivoted on the machine frame. The steering wheel and steering motor are from some newer piece of equipment. And the hydraulic pump is belt driven from the engine crank pulley. It's very simple, probably 'home made'.