Hi I have air constantly leaking from the exhaust port , The manual gives a measurement but to measure the rod length is impossible because you can see the rod at the valve end then it disappears into the floor . anyone have any easier method of adjustment thanks has new treadle valve fitted Pedro
must say what a job to measure and adjust, certainly need a small pair of hands
The actual length of the rod doesn't necessarily need to be measured. As long as the valve is fully closed when the pedal is fully released and there is a little bit of free play in the pedal before the valve opens, then that is good enough. It can be a pain to adjust the rod. Earlier machines have a RH thread on both ends. Later ones have a RH and LH thread so you can adjust the rod length without removing the clevis pin. Either way, the locknut at the pedal end is fairly impossible to get to. My advice is to loosen the clevis at the valve end and adjust it according to the above paragraph. I assume that Cat give a dimension for the rod because that is how they set it on the assembly line.
Problem i had was air leaking and the compressor working all the time,ive slowed it down but still leaking . it only has a lock nut at the valve end but the rod was nearly out of the pedal end rod length is now sorted only to stop the air leak
I've never bothered rebuilding one of these valves, it's a bit of an effort to R&R them so I usually just install a new one. If you don't fancy buying one from Cat, I think it's an off-the-shelf bendix item. Should be available from your local truck parts shop for a modest fee.
Thanks Cmark