Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat hydraulic cylinder bench the easy way

Jonas302 ยท 2020-03-05 21:51

Repacking tilt cylinder on 950g homemade 4 inch wrench for the 980g to push on bolt though the back bumper and oak v block makes for a solid setup light ratchet straps help pushing the head back onto the rod I always break the sharp edge of the rod to help it slide back together better

Replies14
  1. #1mitch5042020-03-05 22:06

    Yep, that's pretty much exactly the way I do it, except for spraying that white foam all around. Were you afraid it was going to catch fire?

  2. #2kshansen2020-03-06 09:28

    We are having a problem with a lack of that fire retardant foam here. We actually have guys who buy machines to ride around in that stuff. I don't have one of those but do have a couple machines that I use to clean it off the driveway and deposit it on the lawn. It actually seems to work good as a fertilizer as in a few weeks the grass will start growing fast. Only difference we actually had large sockets and torque multipliers to help loosen and tighten those nuts.

  3. #3Nige2020-03-06 16:08

    Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. Nicely done.

  4. #4RZucker2020-03-06 18:08

    I have several wrenches of that "20 pound impact" style all the way up to 4-1/4". More than once an outrigger on the service truck was used as a vise for the eye end of the rod in addition to wooden V-blocks.

  5. #5Jonas3022020-03-06 19:31

    That silly white stuff is just for keeping the mosquitos away Woke this 980 up from its winter nap and a rusty dent in the tilt cylinder is obvious buffed it out with a scotch brite pad before it got sucked past the seal nice and smooth now let it ride until the cylinder needs repacking then its clean it up and pack steering cylinders and brake accumulators

  6. #6Jonas3022020-04-04 10:28

    A few more 980g cylinders had some brake accumulators to reseal I was going to add a handle to the pin wrench but they all came loose with crack from a hammer Made a extension pin wrench to get on the steering cylinder cap saved a ton of time and work pulling the rod in place used the skid steer on the 4 foot pipe wrench to break those free the split pipes are lined with conveyor belt and wood to keep it nice and tight and scratch free it doesn't show the wood block wedging the wrench back to ensure the pins stayed engaged overall worked great And a couple more tilt cylinders resealed

  7. #7kshansen2020-04-04 11:04

    Very interesting tool to get the cap off the steering cylinders I looked at the pictures first and was abit confused till I read the description of of the tool. It's been many years since I worked on the 980G steering cylinders at the quarry, think I might have used a hook-spanner to get them loose. Or maybe I just pulled the cylinders.

  8. #8Nige2020-04-04 11:33

    Were the accumulators 980 also..? This poster might be interested to hear how easy they are to get the top caps off. See Page 2. Also did you do them installed on the machine or remove them first before disassembly..? HeavyEquipmentForums

  9. #9Jonas3022020-04-04 12:47

    I should have took more pics I am terrible at remembering to do that the ends of the cylinders are kinda hidden back behind the fuel and hydraulic tanks can only get about an 8 inch handle in there these took a skidsteer pulling a four foot wrench to break free It took a little time to make the wrench but we had 4 to do and got them done in about an hour each so saved a lot over pulling the cylinders and way more fun too

  10. #10Jonas3022020-04-04 12:58

    The accumulators were 980g also they were gravy to reseal the caps came right off a medium whack with a 4 pound hammer on my 6 inch long wrench is all it took I did them off machine though I think they can be done on also used a 1/4 inch steel rod though the hyd fitting to push the piston out rather than blowing it across the shop with air pressure cleaned it up put new rings on no special tools needed these were my first accumulators did 3 with no problems Cat kits around $150

  11. #11Nige2020-04-04 13:04

    Please can you do the other poster a favour and put something to that effect on his thread..? He was being told by "a mechanic" that the accumulators most likey needed replacing. I can't remember when I last heard of that, usually a re-seal and a bit of a clean-up inside & they're good to go.

  12. #12Jonas3022020-04-04 13:16

    I got in the other thread wish I would have saw it earlier its funny because every cat mechanic I talked said to just replace them of course thats what they say about all the cylinders too glad I dont listen to well rebuild accumulators are about $1000 each

  13. #13rmllarue912020-04-04 19:21

    So your the guy that breaks all the rear cat wheel loader counter weights ? Lol looking good

  14. #14Coaldust2020-04-05 00:29

    Very Craft, Jonas302!