Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat It 28f Question

TRACKHOE71 ยท 2007-01-06 20:05

hey does anybody have any specs or know where i can find specs on a cat IT28F series. are the f series and g series the same spec wise? what years were they produced? and does anybody have an idea of a price on one of these used? thanks guys

Replies11
  1. #1Tigerotor77W2007-01-07 13:26

    I can get you very... rough specs. The IT28F is one of the few pieces of Cat literature that I don't have in my rather large collection. The F-to-G transition comes with a powerplant update and some more power on the front end. Brief specs: F: made between '93 and '96, 125 horsepower. Approx. weight of 25,200 pounds; bucket rated at 2.6 yds with a breakout force of 21,700 pounds. (Do you need dimensional specs, too?) G: Made between '02-'04, 146 horsepower, 27,860 pounds. Same size bucket but 23,437 pounds of breakout force. Width, ground clearance, dump clearance, and travel speeds all increased; the max reach decreased. Let me know if you need anything else -- I may be able to dig it up for you. Edit: I don't know anything about price, unfortunately... you may want to check out Ironplanet or MachineryTrader.

  2. #2dayexco2007-01-07 13:52

    good way to determine value, is go to www.machinerytrader.com click on auction results, and narrow your search down to the manufacturer, model, etc....

  3. #3Tigerotor77W2007-01-07 18:57

    I want to edit my previous statement -- the Cat Performance Handbook shows that the horsepower increases from 125 to 146 as we go from 28F to 28G. However, the specalog I have for the 28G says horsepower stayed at 125. It's possible that either the handbook is wrong or that there was also a G-update -- honestly, I don't remember which is the case. The 928 family went through a bunch of changes as the years progressed, so it's possible the Handbook is correct, but just an fyi.

  4. #4King of Obsolete2007-01-07 19:24

    i used the brother in-law's it 28g for loading a 1000 tons of scrap metal on e winter. very impressed with the machine on lift capablities. we did a lot of snow removal too that winter. very good vision from the cab. they start very good in cold weather and very fuel good usage. everyone thinks they are a light duty machine but i was very impressed with it. i would like to buy a it 28g as my next loader. hope this helps. thansk

  5. #5Lashlander2007-01-07 20:07

    Isn't that a little too new for your liking?:bouncegri :bouncegri

  6. #6King of Obsolete2007-01-07 20:18

    yes it is a new style machine, but in 20 years i could afford it, LOL maybe make it 30 years, then i know i could afford it,LOL thansk

  7. #7Lashlander2007-01-07 20:35

    :thumbsup Alright! Its good to have a goal. :bouncegri I've enjoyed your posts on SFT for a long while now. Have a good day.

  8. #8King of Obsolete2007-01-07 21:35

    thansk, glad you enjoy shop floor talk too. thansk

  9. #9TRACKHOE712007-01-08 09:52

    thanks guys for all your help. a buddy of mine his father is looking at purschasing a wheel loader for there farm i guess he found an it 28 f series reativley cheap and the only books i had were on the g series and the 902 -908 series.tiger where can i get a performance handbook, do they list all the older equipment or just the recent models.thanks

  10. #10Tigerotor77W2007-01-08 10:51

    The specs I gave you were all they listed, because my Handbooks don't go back far enough. I originally had a Edition 28, which likely would have contained full specs on the 28F, but was silly enough to... replaced it (Fine! I threw it away. ) when I got Edition 29. Your local Cat dealer (or anyone who's got contacts there) will likely have Edition 28 or 27. I'm guessing 28 contains the 28F data; if it doesn't, 27 should.

  11. #11King of Obsolete2007-01-08 13:04

    cat manuals and books are one ebay all the time, fairly cheap too, if you don't mind the wait. thansk