Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat IT24F wont go into forward or reverse….

Snowman1234 ยท 2014-07-10 10:07

My Cat IT 24F loader wont shift into forward or reverse. All other functions are fine. I've been told that the alternator isn't providing enough power to the transmission to shift. Solutions?

Replies6
  1. #1Snowman12342014-07-10 10:34

    Also, the lightning bolt symbol is constantly flashing.

  2. #2kshansen2014-07-10 12:34

    Lightning bolt symbol would be telling you alternator is not putting out power. Not familiar with the IT 24F but many Cats have a wire hooked to the "R" terminal on alternator that if it comes off it will light the indicator. I also believe this may be used for some function to tell the ECM that the engine is running. First thing I would check is this wire at alternator and see what voltage you have at the batterys. With it running I would be expecting around 14 volts for a 12 volt system or 28 for a 24 volt system. Also check all fuses and circut breakers, missed checking one this week and spent too much time checking other things on a Cat 769D.

  3. #3Nige2014-07-10 12:34

    That indicates that the voltage in the electrical system is either too high or too low. You need to fix that first before going on to look at what may be wrong (or not in that case) with the transmission. Does the indicator go off when you increase the engine RPM..?

  4. #4Snowman12342014-07-10 13:17

    It does not go off with engine rpm increase. I will check the output and see what I have.

  5. #5Snowman12342014-07-27 16:10

    Was also told it could be the check valve on the torque converter. Possible?

  6. #6Nige2014-07-28 09:10

    Fix your electrical problem first is my suggestion, then move forward with any other diagnosis that might be required. An electronically-controlled transmission will not play properly if the power to the controls is not correct.