Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat it28B

russ61 ยท 2025-05-13 06:13

Hey, going to look at it28B this weekend. just for property maintenance, moving gravel road maintenance. Any things I need to look closely at? Dont knw hours yet or serial number. A little worried about a computer machine. Have a 955 H now that I've had for 30 years that's pretty much dying. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies5
  1. #1Wastepro2025-05-13 06:52

    We have a IT24 machine and it is great for pallet fork work and heaping loose material like mulch, compost etc. When it comes to digging, dirt work or grading its not my choice of machine. The IT machine just doesn't have the breakout force for serious digging. Not sure all what you have in mind for work but something to consider.

  2. #2russ612025-05-13 11:21

    mostly digging, moving creek gravel for driveways. Maybe clearing off Russian olive brush, hate that stuff! Not sure what to expect as I've never ran a non-tracked loader, besides 4020 tractor. The it 28 is supposed to have 19000 break out force. Might put some teeth on the bucket also.

  3. #3Nige2025-05-13 11:30

    If you are expecting an IT to have a similar digging/breakout performance to a wheel loader of the same size (928) class then I fear you are in for a big disappointment, teeth or no teeth on the bucket. It's all down to the geometry of the loader linkage. The illustrations below are from a G but the principle is the same for the B model. The IT will also be very slow compared to a loader, resulitng from the necessity to have a hydraulic system capable of forklift work. One way of looking at it is that an IT is a machine capable of wearing loads of different hats and doing reasonably well whichever one it wears, while not being particularly exceptional at anything.

  4. #4russ612025-05-13 13:37

    Thank you Nige, that's what I needed to hear. I was hoping that you'd see this and comment. I've always read your post with great interest

  5. #5Nige2025-05-13 13:51

    TBH if I was looking for something that was only ever to be equipped with a bucket then an IT would be far from my first choice. Here are the specs for a G Series, which is all I could find. ITs sell on versatility, not out-and-out performance.