Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat IT28F Brakes not working?

alaskaforby4 ยท 2012-07-31 11:28

'95 Cat IT28F, as soon as its warms up the brakes go out? Any ideas or things to check? Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1alaskaforby42012-08-01 02:00

    Anyone?

  2. #2GeoffD2012-08-01 16:27

    As dumb as it sound what type of oil do you have in the axels? When was last it was changed.

  3. #3truckdoctor2012-08-01 16:50

    If you have some hydraulic pressure guages that you can plumb into the test port hook a guage to the test port and check pump pressure. If the pressure is low than either the pump is bad or the line relief is out of adjustment. I don't remember if the relief valve is shimmed or if it screws in but try to adjust the relief up if the pressure is low. I would have to look up the specs as far as what the pressure settings are. There is a charge valve in the system between the pump and the brake accumulators. Make sure that valve is coming up to pressure and kicking out. I believe the relief valve is in the same block as the charge valve. I want to say that the pressure setting is around 2500psi but I am not sure. Check your accumulators and make sure they are properly charged as well. If they are flat, it can cause the brake pump and charge valve to go out. Lastly check and make sure the diff is not extremely over full on oil. If it is the seal has gone out on the brake piston and it is pumping oil into the diff.

  4. #4alaskaforby42012-08-02 11:22

    Ok thanks, the diff oil was normal level. Im not sure when it was changed last. We will have to get some gauges and try to diagnose something there, where is a good place to find a service manual?

  5. #5truckdoctor2012-08-02 11:43

    Ebay would be a good place to start. Also search online and see if someone posted one there. Or if you have a friend who can access SIS web which is a Cat program all the service manuals are there if you want to print them off. Even try calling the parts department at the local Cat dealer and see if they will copy the pages off SIS web for you and send them to you. Some parts people are willing to be helpful in that area. I don't have a book on that loader otherwise I would have given a better answer. If the diff oil is black and smells burned it would be time to change it.