Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT IT28G – will it handle a 40 ft shipping container

KES2020 ยท 2021-03-18 16:48

The containers weigh 11,000 lbs - will an IT28G unload and carry them empty?? Thanks M

Replies6
  1. #1Nige2021-03-18 21:05

    I'd say you would be pushing it for more than one reason:- 1. Longest available forks are only 4'-6". That's only just over half the width of a standard shipping container. It would make the load awful tippy. 2. Ground conditions.? Flat concrete might give you half a chance. Anything rough and all bets would be pretty much off. 3. According to the ratings (see attachment Page 20) no can do. For rough terrain the rating is only about 8000 pounds. Don't go by the tipping loads because they are ratings with the optional additional counterweights and I'm betting you don't have them.

  2. #2KES20202021-03-19 20:24

    reply thanks!!

  3. #3skyking12021-03-19 21:33

    Of particular note are the load centers of 24 and 27 inches. Not 4 feet.

  4. #4skyking12021-03-20 10:57

    I had to deal with that while working on the SR520 floating bridge project in 2014. I was the forklift operator for moving the form panels. I had a hyster 360 with the cascade fork conversion, with 15' long forks. Hyster had load data at 48" load center for the standard 8' forks, that is where it was rated for 36,000 pounds. When pressed for data, their answer was to flat-rate the forklift to 10K! The wooden skinned forms were not a problem as most of them weighed less than 10K, and nobody but nobody respected that flat rating. The typical operation by the cowboys was to grab a stack till it tipped and then back off one. I was a little more circumspect and nobody saw my steer tires off the ground. They did have to observe it with the steel skinned 29' by 20' outside panels. They were 14,500 and although you could move one, it was really close to tipping and I never tried it. They had done so on the first 3 cycles but by the time I was in the seat they had gone to renting a 550 and putting on 12' fork extensions. 12' forks on a 20' steel skinned panel with form oil, steel to steel. Does that sound like fun? It was a tender operation. I had one incident going down this pain-in-my-arse gravel ramp, the panel went both sideways and a little out and I limped it onto the closest stack and took a breath or two. These panels had staging attached so the stacks were staggered about 3' left or right as they went up, and you were limited to 5. After that you would bend the second panel with all that offset weight. Here is the view under a 20'x29' wood skinned panel. 1" form ply on 4x6 horizontal strongbacks on 1 foot centers with doubled 2x6 channel walers. have shade will travel

  5. #5JPV2021-03-20 11:06

    Our 928 will handle one end of a container no problem but not the whole thing.

  6. #6Nige2021-03-20 12:42

    Good point, and one thing the OP failed to mention was exactly what he needed to do with the containers. Offload them from a truck, move them across a job site, manouevre them into position, or a combination of "all the above"..? I aghree with Mike, I'd have no problem lifting and skidding one end of an empty 40' container with an IT28.