Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT Model 35 Pull Type Grader

ovrszd ยท 2016-09-13 10:44

Friend of mine has a Scrapping business. Contacted me about a grader being scrapped at an Estate. Was located only a couple miles from my farm. I grew up around the elderly gentleman that had the grader. Considered him and his wife as very close friends. I was extremely honored for the opportunity to save this machine from the crusher. I believe it to be a Model 35. Any opinions and information about it will be greatly welcomed. I pulled it home with my tractor. Only functions that will require a bit of work is the wheel lean on both ends. Otherwise she's ready to go to work!!!!

Replies15
  1. #1Chas8612016-09-16 07:22

    I don't know why I'm mesmerized by these vintage pull graders. Maybe it's the rawness or patina from time! IDK What would you guess the model 35 weighs? Wonderful to see that it's been saved from the crusher and has a new home!

  2. #2d9gdon2016-09-16 10:59

    Try the antique caterpillar site if you don't get help here, there's lots of guys there that have these old graders. www.acmoc.org

  3. #3Tones2016-09-16 18:28

    Leaning wheels maybe the clue-Adams grader?

  4. #4Graderfan19812016-09-17 16:13

    That is nice that this grader was rescue from scrapping. Here a link with some old pull graders from Caterpillar, you are right, it seems to be a 35: http://www.chriscomachinery.com/graderpictures.htm On the site which i link the types are under the pictures.

  5. #5ovrszd2016-09-20 16:51

    I found some information and pics which led me to believe it's a Model 35. Weighs 6,700 lbs. I imagine standing on the platform all day spinning all the wheels for adjustment listening to an old CAT dozer clatter along in front of me.

  6. #6ovrszd2016-09-20 16:54

    It's definitely a CAT. Caterpillar cast into the various gear boxes and a manufacturers tag, but no model number.

  7. #7ovrszd2016-09-20 17:01

    Yep, that's the site I found. Missing is the backside of the page which would have all the technical specifications. In our Country high scrap iron prices have caused a lot of our heritage to be crushed. Over the past 4 years I've purchased a 3pt Flail Mower ($70), Tandem Wheel Disc ($115), 3pt 3 bottom Plow ($30), 3pt 12ft Rotary Hoe ($20), 3pt 7ft Sickle Mower ($50) and now this Grader ($200) all from my Scrapper friend. One Man's Junk is another Man's Treasure.

  8. #8Graderfan19812016-09-24 06:03

    I have find now the page with the specs, thanks for the tip http://www.chriscomachinery.com/PullGraders.htm

  9. #9ovrszd2016-09-25 13:23

    Got a chance to spend a couple hours with my Son Danny at the controls of the grader. He really enjoyed it. And he has a newfound respect for our predescessors. Started on a gravel road. Then moved to a dirt trail thru our timber to the Campground. Had to use 4wd on the tractor then.

  10. #10ovrszd2016-09-25 13:25

    Here's his finished dirt road. Pretty good for only 2 hours on the machine.

  11. #11Junkyard2016-09-25 14:26

    Good find! I love the older stuff. It seems like today's motto is "how fast can we do it?" I like using older stuff, it makes you take your time and do a good job. It never hurts to slow down and enjoy things a little. I'd love to have a few old machines like that. Many of the old ways are a lost art and people don't know how good and easy they have it! Keep it up! Where abouts in Mo are you? I was born in a dinky little town east of KC. Junkyard

  12. #12ovrszd2016-09-25 18:41

    I'm 100 miles North of KC at the last exit off I-35 before you go into Iowa. East about 3 miles. It would have broke my heart if this grader had went to the shredder. So Blessed to have a good friend that knows how I feel about things like this and called me. My favorite Aunt liked just outside Lamar Oklahoma. Not far from Holdenville. She hunted Rattlesnakes with a single shot .22. I spent the Summer with her family after I graduated from High School in 1969. Fond memories.

  13. #13Junkyard2016-09-25 19:00

    I spent a lot of time with my grandma on the farm in MO. She was something else! My fondest memories are there. Man that place has changed so much in the last 30-35 years. KC has grown east and swallowed a lot of nice rural areas. I know right where you are, I used to sneak around the Eagleville scale quite often! A friend of mine used to manage the O'Reillys in Holdenville. I know most of OK pretty good having been here over 20 years and working a lot of projects in various areas. They do a snake hunt down there somewhere every year, no thanks! Haha Junkyard

  14. #14ovrszd2016-09-26 18:11

    Yep, you nailed my location. There's now a Love's truck stop off the Southwest corner of the Eagleville exit. Talk about busy. They average 500 trucks a day. The experienced scale dodgers going Southbound now go on down to the Ridgeway exit to avoid all the traffic at the Eagleville exit. Times have certainly changed.

  15. #15Graderfan19812016-09-30 16:46

    Nice to see that grader in action, great work