My father passed away back in May of 2024, he purchased an older cat motor grader some years back. It’s been sitting for a couple years now and I don’t know much about getting her started or the value. If anyone here could give me a little insight to how the proper way to start the engine after sitting or better yet if you could point me to an operators manual that would be awesome. And secondly if anyone cared to take a stab at what its value could be that would be also appreciated.
You have a Cat #12 motor grader - Serial Number 70D1536. The 70D was first produced in 1957 so at a guess your machine is probably somewhere around a 1960-ish build date. BTW 4F7814 is simply the Part Number for one piece of the radiator cowling.... Believe it or not but the Operation & Maintenance Manual FE032796 is still available from Cat. Regarding what it might be worth don't get your hopes up too much. If you can get it running the value will be somewhat higher than if it does not run. Potential purchasers of a machine like this are likely to be a very niche market.
Thank you so much, I know she ran a few years ago so it shouldn't be too terribly hard to get her running, I just don't have a lot of experience with the old diesels.
You're going to need help from someone who has experience of these older engine models. Is it direct electric start or does it have a gasoline-powered pony motor for starting.? Either way downloading a copy of the O&M manual for $52 is probably going to be a worthwhile exercise for you.
I agree, this one is direct start. No other engine attached to the big cat engine.
$.06/lb non running Maybe $2000-$3500 running. Kind of a case of whoever you can find that wants it that can actually come up with the money. We sold a running old Adams grader many year ago for $2000, guys that bought it were scrap dealers.
I sold my running #12 8T series 2 years ago for $1500. I should probably have asked more but he wanted it for driveway maintenance and I didn’t want it to be scrapped
A really nice 12 about a 59 direct start sold at auction near here for $5,000 last week