Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT Plug

partsandservice ยท 2016-12-11 06:26

Hoping some of the CAT gurus will be able to help me. I need to know what tool is required to install this plug. It goes in the end of this transmission clutch drum Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1Cmark2016-12-11 07:22

    Interesting question. I can't find any mention of it in SIS. The part number of the plug is indented below the part number of the shaft it fits into, meaning that if you buy the shaft, it comes with the plug(s) already installed. It looks like it would be installed with something like "Huck" tooling or some kind of similar big pop riveter.

  2. #2partsandservice2016-12-11 10:03

    Thanks Cmark, it is defiantly set up like a rivet. All huck guns I have been around are much to large for this. I will attempt to find a large rivet gun, I ordered two extra plugs for experimenting. Edit: did a google search for a huck gun, they come in all sizes apparently a huck gun is just an air powered rivet gun.

  3. #3kshansen2016-12-11 10:33

    I did some looking on SIS too and see where they use this in the shafts but scrolled through the service manual for the transmission but they never showed removing or installing it! I'm guessing this was removed to clean out the passages in the shaft, would it have killed them to just tap the hole for an 1/8 inch pipe plug??? I have some ideas on how to attempt to install it, I'm sure you do too! They would all be a little back woods methods but for a one time job might work. If this pin is too big for any normal pop-rivet tools: One idea would be to drill a hole in a piece of say 1/8 steel that the pin would just fit through and then weld a section of threaded rod, say 1/4 inch to the end of the pin part and slid a piece of tubing over the rod and use a nut to draw it up and pop it in to place. This assumes it is designed to work like a pop-rivet, with a narrow section to control when it breaks the pin off.

  4. #4farmerlund2016-12-11 10:40

    It could be like a lock bolt, a type of huck rivet. does it have a tapered collar that goes with it? what size is it. I am thinking maybe its the size like Kenworth uses for there cab lock bolts. they use 3/16 and 1/4".