Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat reman cly packs(issues and concerns)

NGsparkmechanic · 2024-03-10 20:34

Has anyone else had problems with reman cly packs from cat. This has been an issue for around 3 or 4 months now. There is a heavy/thick residue on the liner, also some black stain/etching/pitting on the inside, upper area on the liner. Parts man at cat claims that it shouldn’t cause a problem, I completely disagree with that statement. For what these parts cost it better be perfect. Some of the pistons have been stuck in the liner and it took a few hits with a rubber deadblow hammer to free it up. Cat dealer does replace the ones that I don’t like. 0R3661 is the part number. Fits G3306/G3304 engine.

Replies6
  1. #1Tyler d4c2024-03-10 20:40

    Out of curiosity does the packaging have the old cat logo on it. Perhaps it's old stock.

  2. #2Coaldust2024-03-10 21:07

    Interesting

  3. #3Chrisso2024-03-10 21:26

    x 2 what Tyler said. Doesn’t really matter what the Parts guy thinks.

  4. #4NGsparkmechanic2024-03-11 21:58

    All parts have been new stock. I have talked to another shop that has returned over 100 cly packs because of this problem. I do know that information travels really slow up the chain of command at cat/ cat dealers before issues are corrected.

  5. #5Legdoc2024-03-11 22:10

    I would send them back. Simply not acceptable. If it is eroded, corroded not smooth what is going to happen when a ring slides over the area. If you were buying a new OEM rod from Cat and at a area that passes the gland seal and wiper had a gouge or sharp spot would you install it and cross your fingers?

  6. #6Welder Dave2024-03-11 23:48

    Wasn't sure what cly meant when I first read it but figured it was a typo and short for cylinder (cyl). The yellow stuff looks like a preservative to prevent rust that needs to be removed with some kind of solvent. Similar to how machine tools are shipped. The black stuff is puzzling.