Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat S50 Milspec phones

wrwtexan ยท 2016-02-07 19:05

I received a facebook post and link to a line of Cat branded cell phones which are supposed to be built to better handle our work environment. I found an unlocked model on ebay for good money and have been needing to replace my Samsung Galaxy S3. Aside from having the Cat logo emblazoned on it, I like the features and it will work on 3G and 4G networks as mine is only 3G with spotty service in some of my work areas. Has anyone had any experience with these (good/bad)?

Replies33
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2016-02-07 20:08

    I am curious too. I have not heard anything good or bad yet.

  2. #2mikebramel2016-02-07 20:25

    Those look very similar to the generic Chinese "tough" phones with 2x the price tag. After breaking an Iphone, Galaxy 4, and an HTC, went with the Samsung Rugby. $150 brand new..... indestructible under most use

  3. #3wrwtexan2016-02-07 20:39

    mikebramel; but, but, its got the Cat name on it:crying... I need to stay with a smartphone for online parts page searching, etc, so that's why I was interested.

  4. #4simonsrplant2016-02-08 00:31

    JCB branded a similar product in the uk some years ago. It was android based and on paper seemed like a good idea. Excellent battery life, tough, and all the plus points of a smart phone. I had three, all in the space of the same number of months, all replaced under warranty. A couple things irritated me: firstly, despite the branding, they were nothing to do with the brand at all. Secondly, the aftersales from online based support was junk. Finally, I understand things go wrong, but three failures... I reluctantly bought an iPhone and have had many lifeproof cases. Despite damaging cases, I'm yet to have a hardware failure.

  5. #5DDoug2016-02-08 07:15

    I'm still waiting for the Detroit Diesel phone....has 10x the volume... And can operate encased in oil/grease...

  6. #6Jim D2016-02-08 23:02

    +10!

  7. #7kshansen2016-02-09 08:33

    Just hope it comes with an absorbent carrying case so soak up the leaks! "Can Your hear me now?"

  8. #8rossaroni2016-02-09 20:37

    Check out some of the torture tests that they put Sonim phones through. Expensive, but they say that they are the last one you'll buy

  9. #9rossaroni2016-02-10 05:47

    sorry, didnt post the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVVd3DS8bus

  10. #10DDoug2016-02-10 07:01

    I think it comes with a long chain instead....just like the rubber plug used in the bathtub....

  11. #11CM19952016-02-10 07:08

    Same here, I've went through 3 LifeProof cases on the iPhone I have now. The cases may be "life proof" but they're not CM proof... BTW - Detroits don't leak, they mark their territory.:cool2

  12. #12kshansen2016-02-10 07:20

    Humm, is there some unknown connection between Detroit engineers and Harley engineers? Seem they both have that same habit!

  13. #13CM19952016-02-10 08:29

    Land Rover too:stirthepot :tong

  14. #14movindirt2016-02-10 13:56

    My last 2 phones have been Samsung phones with Otterbox cases, haven't had a issue with either of them yet, I try to upgrade every 2 years, my old phone is good enough to be able to get all the contacts and info I need off of it before it dies or something Have a Samsung galaxy s6 at the moment, the Cat phones are the equivalent of the galaxy s4's I heard. Needless to say I'll stick with my Samsung's I like their products as well as Apple's, usually if there is a issue the fix can be found on youtube instead of calling customer support :Banghead :bash

  15. #15Nige2016-02-10 14:08

    Sort of off topic but another vote for the Otter box case. I've had one on an iPhone 5 for over 2 years now and it's saved the phone's life more times than I can count.

  16. #16Mike L2016-02-10 18:04

    I have the iPhone 5 with an lifeproof case and have had good luck.i can destroy a phone like nobodies business and even took it swimming accidentally this summer with no damage. I'd be interested to see how the cat phone holds up though.

  17. #17clintm2016-02-10 20:35

    I got a iPhone 6s plus and a survivor case only complaint is that people complain that they have trouble hearing me have tried to find if it has noise canceling feature but can't find any thing anybody else having this problem.

  18. #18wrwtexan2016-02-10 21:41

    Keep the comments coming but I appreciate all the responses. I will probably stay with the Samsung and move up to an S4 as so far I've been relatively satisfied with it. My wife and I tried the chinese knockoff smartphones prior to our S3's and weren't very happy with them. I've had mine in a cheap rubber case with a plastic face shield from ebay but see I should move up to the Otterbox or similar case.

  19. #19CM19952016-02-11 06:40

    Maybe you need to stand a little farther away from the crusher.:tong

  20. #20Desertwheeler2016-02-11 18:19

    If you don't want a smartphone sonim phones are pretty tough. That's what we were given at work and seem to work good.

  21. #21clintm2016-02-11 21:06

    what you say....can you here me now

  22. #22movindirt2016-02-11 22:29

    I know the cost goes up quite a bit, but you should try and get the galaxy S5, it is much better than the S4 was fyi. Otterbox cases are definitely worth their cost.

  23. #23Dickjr.2016-02-12 23:40

    I have the Samsung S5Active which is waterproof , dust proof etc. I put an otter box on it day 1. After a year the clip broke on the holster , I went to the otter box sit put in the serial number and reported the damage. They sent me a complete new otter box for my phone for a handling charge or 3$. That's when the 50$ I paid for the case paid off. The S5 Active is a good phone as well. Wonder if they will ever brand a condom by Cat?

  24. #24kanewolf2016-02-13 10:39

    Think of all the security leaks ...

  25. #25kanewolf2016-02-13 10:42

    I believe the S5 is the best phone that Samsung has made. Dust/waterproof, replaceable battery, and micro-SD card. A good case like and Otter will protect from most abuse.

  26. #26movindirt2016-02-13 14:23

    Yes definitely, I am wishing I hadn't upgraded to the S6, the battery life is not near as good as the S5 was, and its not replaceable, at least that I know of :badidea

  27. #27d4c24a2016-02-13 15:58

    i have a sonim xp7 smart phone , IP69 rated and it is as tough as old boots , 3 year warranty , this is my 3rd sonim phone , the other two have out lasted their warranty and are still in working order in the cupboard , the xp7 has a great battery life , i can get up to 5 days on one charge ,its switched on all the time

  28. #28pburress2016-09-04 22:56

    I go through an otter box case about every 6 months, thank goodness for the life time warranty on the cases

  29. #29KevD8152016-09-17 11:28

    Interesting thread guys. I have a oldie Samsung Rugby Pro. Never put a case on it for the three+ years I've had it and its still holding up. With that being said, it was "obsolete" three years ago so I would like to upgrade to an equally rugged phone.

  30. #30gtermini2016-09-17 14:05

    I have the same phone at the exact same age. I put a cheap ebay $5 case on it a yr ago after I dropped in on a concrete floor and the screen went balck (glass didn't break). I bought a used on off ebay for $40 and switched the screens. Other than that, it's been a damn good phone. It's also time to upgrade as this one has gotten slow and glitchy. Greyson

  31. #31pburress2016-09-18 15:59

    Does it come with some sort of cat diesel engine ring tone cause that would be awesome?

  32. #32wrwtexan2016-10-05 21:58

    I went ahead and purchased the S50 Cat phone. It has been a good phone but the OS has quite a few bugs in it. I will probably go back to a Samsung Galaxy and get a a good case but I have dropped this unit several times, once on mud soup while laying pipe and it has continued to work. Thinking that the microphone was full of dirt from dropping it in my D6 battery box in blowing dirt, I tried to take it apart and clean it and found the shockproof case IS the frame. It is very sturdily built but would work better with a later Android operating system. And yes, pburress, it does come with a diesel engine starting, which has been my general ringtone since I got it.

  33. #33White Excavating2018-02-01 23:02

    I had two of these cat phones. They are junk don't waste your money on them. Microphone went on one and speaker went on another. Warranty is almost impossible to deal with.I'd rather stick my fingers in a vise. O yea they are cool at first though with the back up alarm ringtone and cat apps that will entertain you for a day. I hope this helps someone avoid some heartache.