Greetings from Texas. Jan 2014 I purchased a NEW Cat 289D skid steer. Nice machine with good power and climate controlled cab. NOW - I am trying to add attachments. I recently purchased a BOBCAT 6 way Dozer blade to use on my CAT machine. (Unused in excellent condition.) DON'T DO IT!!!! Bobcat has pretty much told me to 4nik8 myself as 'YOU MUST HAVE A BOBCAT MACHINE TO USE BOBCAT ATTACHMENTS! How rude! CAT people are trying to assist but have NEVER heard of this problem. Really? NO-ONE, in the HISTORY of the company has EVER tried to connect a BOBCAT attachment to a CAT Skid Steer? Really? Well the BOBCAT attachment has a 7 pin male connector and the CAT has a 14 pin male. Now understand that not all of the 14 pins are used. In fact, there are several blank holes where pins should go - but are not there. SO - HOW DO I CONNECT A BOBCAT 6 WAY DOZER BLADE TO A CAT 289D SKID STEER? And..... yes there is always more..... BOBCAT info is showing that this blade will ONLY work with their machine! BOBCAT is showing a 5V card??? in the Blade control that only accepts BOBCAT info. Frustrated in TEXAS! I sincerely hoped this has helped others NOT make the same error that I did. I paid $2,500 for the blade, near Houston, Texas and will sell it for that. Jer
Can you find out what model Bobcat the blade came off and get an electrical schematic for that machine..? Because if you can I can supply the Electrical Schematic for your 289D. Figure out what does what from both diagrams, connect up as required, and Bob's your father's brother .................
Anything in here help? HeavyEquipmentForums
Call these guys and they'll set you straight- http://www.skidsteerstuff.com/new_page_1.htm
Also Skidsteer solutions in Washington can help. He has a lot of these premade. Couple hundred bucks and your done.
Thanks - I spoke to him today and he is working on it. Jer in Texas
I had a similar problem with a grader of there's I got rid of it quick smart With the thought if its not simple to fix it'll be a ***** to fix on the job. I've been thinking about those blades (not bobcat) how do they go?
Still not fixed - I am trying to get it to work or sell it.
Just my experience but we bought a Harley rake and it had I think an 8 pin electrical plug on it and our 299D has a 14 and our local Cat dealer had an adapter for it! Jerry
I thought cat had adapters to fit different work tools. I will see if I can dig up a part number for your.
Thanks for the replies but still not fixed. CAT has an 8 -14 pin adaptor but not a 7-14. I spoke to "skid steer solutions" and even sent him a photo of the "manual" showing the connections but for some reason his phone would not let the photos come through. I am gonna pop the cover today and examine the connections to see about just rewiring the dozer blade. Other than that - I may just post it for sale on ebay or Houston CL. I think it is rotten that MANY mfg companies pull this same crap but that seems to be where America is at. Thanks again. Jer in Texas
Jerry : Hmmm ??? This is not a new thing to any of us that have been in the industry for a long time ! No different than having a Chevy and expecting that their parts or accessories should DIRECT fit a Ford, Dodge or *** ! You're Pissed, We Get That ! …… but it's no different than owning a JD skid attachment and expecting it to fit a Case, Cat or Komatsu or JCB or ??? with power beyond controls ….. OR why is it that CAT and JD and CASE use the exact same 14-pin Deutch connector on the Boom for Power beyond Controllability, UNTIL you look at the Pin Configurations to be TOTALLY Different ????….. *** !!! …… the ONLY THING they share in common is NOW the Attachment plate, even that has NOT been a standardized situation for that many years either ! …… Try not to Blame Bcat Exclusively for your not knowing that they use a system the other OEM's Don't ! …… We Are ALL in the Same Boat when it comes to buying other Attachments Built type specific to their Machines Bobcat as a DEFAULT elec plug-in uses the 7-pin Canbus system, BUT, as an accessory add on we can add a 14-pin plug-in 12V control harness (which I had done to my Bcat ) ……. I have attachments that were built by Manufacturers other than Bcat, WHY is it that they offer 18 + configurations of wire harnesses to try and make their attachments fit as many brands as possible !!! The Blade you bought has an Electronic Control Module (ECM) added within the Attachments wire harness, mounted just before the wires that go to the solenoids, if Rob @ SSS has not got a solution that will make you Happy, then you have to remove ALL elec components on the Blade including the Coils on the Solenoids …. they have to be replaced with 12V actuated coils and worked forward to your Cat Machine including either buying a pre-made harness from CAT or ??? that will be compatible to Your's ….. It's Not Rocket Science "Just a Big PITA ! " You only posted this Issue you're having on Friday, (3-days ago) it's Monday OF the first Major long weekend of the Year !!! ……. Be a Little Patient ! ….. As KSSS posted with his suggestion, and as you've followed up on with Rob @ SSSolutions he is the BEST ! … and WILL have a solution for you to make the transition easiest as possible ! …… JMHO ! …… Cheers ! and Happy Holiday Weekend ! PS : OHH !!! … BTW ! ……. if you choose to remove the ECM and Harnesses DON'T be shy to advertise them For-Sale ! ….. as myself I am in the middle of building an attachment that will have the need for the OEM harness to control ALL of the functions I Plan to use, 10 Functions to be exact (I had to purchase these pieces from Bcat $$$$$ ) …. again … Cheers !
Thanks - I guess my error was thinking that Bobcat would work with a CAT - but Bobcat folks were pretty rude and rotten. I did send photos to Rob at Skid Steer Solutions and he seemed GREAT - and more than willing to assist. CAT has also contacted me and they also seemed willing to go above and beyond to assist. As far as attachments - I have many trailers that fit behind my pick-up truck and they all connect universally and are wired universally. Seems they plug into a standard hitch and a standard wiring harness even if they have electric brakes. Once again - my error that I got a great price on an attachment but maybe not so great and THINKING that there just might be an industry standard. Guess not And... I have been working on this issue for at least 2 weeks but just joined this site - to get assistance and hopefully assist someone else to not make my error.
Jerry, your photos above. I take it the photo on the RH side is the female connector on the Cat 289D - correct..? If that is the case I can get you a Part Number for a plug that takes female sockets and that will fit into that male plug, however the new plug will come without the pins - just the plug in other words. However all is not lost because I can get ALSO you info on the individual pin Part Numbers that you will need to buy so that you can crimp them on to the wires of the Bobcat blade harness and then install them into the new plug you just bought. All of it will be available from your local Cat house. Just present the guy on the Parts counter with the numbers .......... Now figuring out which wire needs to go where so that the Cat controls will work the Bobcat blade - that's a whole other ball game...................but as sure as God made little apples someone on here will have the info.
Hey ! …. No Worries Jerry ! …… it's a learning curve we've all gone thru ……. We'll wait and see what Solution Rob has for you first, he has and IS the ONLY retail outlet that I have come across that carries a FULL Line of these plug modules in Kit form complete with the Pins required as well as the tool to remove pins to relocate within the 14-pin plug ….. His pricing is Very Cheap as compared to the alternatives that I went thru …… go to his web-site and cruise around it and Be Sure to read the Bio's what he went thru to gain a source to attain all the parts ……. SURE MADE My Life easier !!!!! …… I probably have the I.D. for the pin locations …… if you look closely into the 14-pin on your Boom, you will see that the "PINS" are identified by an Alphabet Letter, this is very important for when you build any future harnesses ….. generally what i've found is that the "B" pin is the common Ground terminal (one of the four pins in the centre) and the "K&L" (located on the outer circle of pins, they are side by side) … are the constant 12V Terminals, some of these are connected within the plug via a jumper ….. But thats another story ! ……. We Will watch, wait and see …… Cheers !
OK, here we go. The socket in your photo that is already mounted on the Lift Arm of your machine is a 344-6145. The male pins in it are Part Number 9W-0852 just in case you ever need any. The mating plug for the Work Tool Harness is a 344-6144. The female sockets to install in that plug are 9W-0844. Both the male pins and female sockets come in packets of 50 pieces. You will need a Deutsch Crimp Tool Cat Part Number 1U-5804 to crimp those pins or sockets on to your wiring harness. (The Deutsch crimp tool is not exclusive to Cat, other sources are available.)
Was looking thru machinery trader magazine and I saw this so check it out! http://www.wyomingcat.com/Adapt/Pages/default.aspx
Jerry when I hooked my cat blade on my Kubota SVL-75 I had to make my own wiring harness. I just jumpered everything one solenoid at a time till I got the controls all working correctly. If you look at my post dozer blade issues you can see what I had to do. two of the solenoids had to be wired together and energizer at the same time to get blade tilt. post From 11-13-2013 wolf
I responded with some more info on the other thread. This link should give you a little better idea what you are dealing with. http://www.bobcat.com/publicadmin/viewArticle.html?id=34032 The last couple sentences tell about what you need to get from Bobcat Still learn'n had some interesting info and would appear to be a similar box to what Bobcat would sell you to make this work. I would still say the best solution would be to contact the manufacturer of the actual blade (Grouser builds it for bobcat). Craft said it best about needing to change the coils, valve etc., because (bobcat 7 pin) is not just wiring different pins, it is a signal to a controller.
You can buy an adapter through CAT or better yet , directly from Grouser...Your dealer need to do a little research, its a standard conversion part for exactly your situation, has been for some time. I have the exact same setup on my 289C2 machines. I was running one of them yesterday afternoon with the Gouser blade and the adapter is in place on the electrical hookup. Contact Gouser for the adapter. I think I have another that I wouldn't mind sending your way if that helps. Bobcat also sells this adapter you require to make your blade function correctly. On a side note, The 289D is an awesome loader. You are going to love it ...our 289C2 and D machine have been super reliable and lead us on to the New 299XHP units that have been flawless as well. CAT makes a great loader that continues to be what I would consider the highest reliability machines on the market today. Not inexpensive by anyones wallet, but downtime and spare parts, not to mention the loss of income makes the extra cash layed out on the CAT seem minimal in my opinion. Good luck and let me know if I can help you out.
When I spoke with Grouser they did not have any conversion kit for the blade to 14 pin from 7 pin. Please let me know what the price was or part number if you have one as I would like to get and was told otherwise. I even discussed wiring directly to the coils and was told it would not work. He recommended calling bobcat. The only way I know Grouser would be able to do it would be to remove and replace the valves and wiring with the caterpillar setup if they will sell you that. Thanks, Wayne
Wayne, I'll call my dealer first thing Tuesday morning for you. Now I'm not sure what they actually did for me. I repeated what I was told. I'll sort it out and get you the needed piece. Sorry for the confusion. If they have one on hand I'll get it for you and send it through the post. Talk more Tuesday ...
Thanks Pafarmer, I look forward to the information Wayne
Just found the Bobcat part numbers I was told would convert Bobcat dozer blade 7 pin to Cat 8 pin. Bobcat attachments plus attachment control kit (7214742) $520 approx. Bobcat 14-pin T-harness (6725381) $100 approx. Bobcat electric adapter kit (7146468) $300 approx. This is all needed to convert according to my local dealer. If Pafarmer was able to accomplish this without the control kit that would be great. The way I think it works is the 12v controls would be converted to signal by the control kit. The signal then goes to the controller on the blade and is used to control.the blade. If all the control stuff can be simply bypassed, that would be much simpler and less expensive. By the way if he can bypass the blade on board controller, l would be interested in buying the controller from him as mine is toasted. Wayne
best solution that I have seen I spoke with Rob (at Skid Steer Solutions) about this and he assures me that he can just bypass the controller on the blade. They sell several different 7-pin by pass kits. The one we need I think is $135. I will be ordering one soon myself. I can't explain why Grouser that makes this for bobcat didn't know this (or just didn't want to disclose) when I spoke with them. This is a much better and cheaper way to go than the bobcat solution. I was told from my dealer that all together it would cost me over $900. Also much more simple, meaning more reliable. Thanks for the info KSSS always find your insight helpful. Good Luck, Wayne
Hey guys. I just want to make you aware that so many people have asked me for different types of harnesses that I started a web site that would handle only these issues. We are building controllers and bypass harnesses to take care of these issues. Let me know if you are in need of a custom solution and we can probably make it for you. The new site is skidsteergenius.com
Good deal Rob. I'm sure this will help out a bunch of folks. :drinkup
As from our conversation a couple of weeks ago Rob …. your suggestions Helped me quite bit ….. I Have been to the New Web Site … skidsteergenius.com … a bunch of times since ….. will be placing an order soon for some replacement OEM 7-pin couplers, Since you are NOW a Source for them TOO !!! ……. You ARE the MAN Rob !!! …… Your "Dedication" to help provide "Solutions" ….. "SHOWS" ……. Thanx Again !!! ……… Cheers … GK
No worries guys. Glad to help.
Serial Nunber please.
CAT0289DCTAW03023 Thanks so much!