Getting some conflicting info (good ol' SIS). Does the gasket between the block and spacer plate go on dry or does it get a coat of sealant? If so, what kind? 92U prefix 3406 PCTA Cat.
DRY.
C-15 thru 18 now recommend Permatex #3 between the gasket and block. I haven't seen anything saying to use this on the 3400 series but as they are pretty much the same thing, I personally wouldn't have any problem using it.
I was told by Peterson Caterpillar to coat the shim/gasket with aviation gasket sealant, they have been doing that on their rebuilds and they really like it. It sounds like it is a bigger issue on high horsepower C-15 and C-16's but I did it on a 3406B because they made it sound like a good idea. https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Aviation-Gasket-Sealant-LOC1525607/dp/B008PWVSXI#
I guess I need to update some manuals.
I used to use 518 really thin just to hold it in place. Back then we had puzzle pieces gaskets so you had to glue them together. Silicone or RTV let stuff squirt and slide but 518 held everything right where it needs to be and doesn't harden. If we're talking about the torque plate in the bottom end if the spacer under the head, I agree w RZucker, dry. It's not going anywhere. A thin bead of ultra-black up where it meets the front structure.
Pan gaskets {Indian Head}. Shim between block and spacer I install dry. but that's just me.
Waitin' on another spacer plate. Figured I'd chance a Yellowmark plate. Yeah it was warped dang near 3/16" and it was a thou and a half over spec in some places. Genuine Kitty one should be here in another day.
My Finning mechanic buddy has told me to use the aviation-gasket sealer, just apply it to both sides of the shim. apply it the width of the brush all around the outside edge and all is good. been doing this myself for the last 20 years now. He told me about Boeing's ship would come into Campbell River every summer and it has twin 3406 mechanical engines painted white and if there is as much as a sweat line of oil at the head gasket area they pulled the heads and resealed them, which was pretty much every year. He had a turn to do the reseal and applied the aviation sealer and said no one had to do a reseal again for years. I have measured hundreds of spacer plates when working at the dealership, and very few are completely perfect, even some of the new Cat ones.
What did you do about them, run them, rework them or get a replacement?
'Nother quick question: So I'm ready to drop pistons in. Of course, SIS is as clear as mud. Says to install them with the writting on the tab side of the con rod to the opposite side of the camshaft. So here's the kicker: My con rods have NO writting on the sides. So my assumption is the tabs they speak of are the bearing tabs and they should face the opposite side of the engine as the cam. Please correct me if I am wrong.
0R-1570 are the reman kits I'm using. STD bearings.
Yes, Bearing tabs away from the cam.
Here to harrass, again. Spent the last half hour trying to find the piston oil jets for this dang thing in SIS with no success. I don't see any copper washers or gaskets on mine so just curious if they are supposed to have them. Any ideas where a guy would find those in parts identification in SIS?
Nope, no washers or seals, just the flatsided bolts.
That's what I thought. I stripped this engine down almost 18 months ago. I always try and keep things together when I take them apart and I had no gaskets or seals with them.
The cooling jets are usually listed as part of the cylinder block assembly. There should be a procedure for checking that they are pointing the right way. It's easy for them to get bent a little when the pistons are removed. What's you full serial number?
92U269## 9N-5514 Arr. # Paccar I removed them from the block before I pulled the pistons and liners. May not be a bad idea to check the aim on them though. I was packing up my liner kits for my core $$$ and noticed #1 and #2 looked a little smoked and scored.
PM sent
And your jets are part number 4N9881, part of 7N1203 block group.
IIRC Cat has a way to check the aim.
Yes, but it involves bolting the jets to a fuel pump test stand and aiming the stream at a target, so is out of the question for most people in the real world.
Thanks I couldn't remember how Cat performed the test, I remember now that a ex Cat mechanic friend of mine told me that
Dry or not dry discussion has been going on for years. Conflicting information from the various Cat publications and groups. Truck Engine News, Marine Engine News, Service Magazine, a PIP or two, SIS, yada, yada. I’m in the Aviation #3 camp. AKA, “Black Death”. Love the smell.
Haven't even looked at the engine since I posted this. Been wrapped in plastic in the corner of the shop.
The {Right Stuff} put a bead about 1/2" around all the jackets and outer edge. When final bolt torque is reached there should be a nice curtain if goo hanging down the side of the block, that's the sign it's all sealed up.
This thread was just brough back to life by those two 1-post spammers.
Spam two eggs and toast.