Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat TH360 B ECM Fault

Jamesbarle · 2020-09-12 12:06

Hi, Cat TH360B 2003 Serial CSLE00405 Today when starting it the red exclamation mark warning started to flash. When i checked the codes I got 039 and A039 ECM. It goes forward and backwards fine and the tilt control works for the body but all other hydraulics dont work. Left it for a couple of hours and it works with the exclamation mark gone. Then after 5 minutes of using it pops up again and shuts down the hydraulics to the boom etc. Any ideas where to start.

Replies17
  1. #1Mark2502020-09-12 17:24

    could you check the service codes again please the 039 tells me it is the machine ECM and the A in front tells me that the code is active here is the procedure

  2. #2Jamesbarle2020-09-13 03:52

    Morning Mark, The codes that are displaying on the left hand screen are 039 and A039. In the right it cycles through these 0246 12 182608 0811 09 0096 03 0882 05 0041 04 1482 04 0246 12 If i leave the telehandler for a couple of hours it works fine. Its when i shut it off and start it again it come uo with the exclamation mark. I recently replaced the hydraulic shut off valve on the rear but has worked great with that for a couple of months now. i did check to see if that was connected ok and it was.

  3. #3Mark2502020-09-13 08:13

    as you cycle through the codes take note when or if an A is displayed in the left screen they are the active codes the rest are logged codes

  4. #4Jamesbarle2020-09-14 00:50

    The only code on the left that is displaying an A is the A039

  5. #5Mark2502020-09-14 05:41

    ok maybe I haven't explained myself properly as the right screen scrolls through the codes in service mode does the A disappear or is it always on? if it is always on that means that the codes are currently active, I will put together some trouble shooting info together

  6. #6Jamesbarle2020-09-15 03:23

    Ah got you. So the only active code is 0246 12 PHS CAN data link -12 "Bad device or component"

  7. #7Mark2502020-09-15 18:02

    here is the test procedure for the active CID246 fault and I have included an electrical schematic As a first step I would concentrate on the terminating resistors and connectors related to the PHS data link

  8. #8dingleberry962024-09-28 08:27

    Did you find out what was wrong with your telehandler? I have the same model that is doing the same thing.

  9. #9JAY-MV2024-11-26 07:37

    Same here. Had phs valve repaired this spring and ran fine till week or so ago Same symptoms

  10. #10Nige2024-11-26 07:53

    What Active Codes do you have.? FYI each Code comprises two parts, one in the LH side of the screen and the other in the RH. So for example 039 0246 12 is one complete Code. Take note of any Code that has a letter "A" in front of the three digits in the LH screen. Post back with your results. A Serial Number would also help.

  11. #11JAY-MV2024-11-26 10:45

    View attachment IMG_9034.jpeg This is from my cat ET

  12. #12JAY-MV2024-11-26 10:55

    Even an an active code it seems itermitant

  13. #13Nige2024-11-26 11:05

    Your photo is a screen shot of the Logged Codes, not the Active ones, if indeed there were any Codes Active at that time. I would suggest the following: - 1. Download a Product Status Report in Adobe pdf format before going any further. See this LINK if you have never done one before. Take note from about 6:20 onwards where it shoes how to save a pdf copy. 2. Erase all the Logged Codes, then download a second PSR. 3. Run the machine and see which Diagnostic Code comes back. Report your findings.

  14. #14JAY-MV2024-11-26 11:07

    View attachment IMG_9031.jpeg

  15. #15JAY-MV2024-11-26 11:09

    It would come and go I need to learn how to record codes and use sis I won’t be around this machine till Monday I have a th360 with another strange issue I will try to start a new thread

  16. #16Nige2024-11-26 11:30

    So it is the 246-12 Code that is coming and going.? You really need it to be Active in order to try to troubleshoot it. if you come across it Active use the troubleshooting procedure in Post #8 above by @Mark250 . The necessary electrical schematic for your machine is different to the one above. I'll end you a copy of the correct one for your Serial Number.

  17. #17JAY-MV2024-11-26 12:22

    I have some spare terminal resistors from diagnosing phs valve last winter I can try when I get back Thanks I’ll catch up next week with it Thanks again, your posts are really helpful