Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT v. Deere

S120483 · 2014-12-07 13:33

We are looking at a new dozer. We currently have CAT D5's for our sewer crews. We use them mostly to backfill and a little grading and clean up in the sites. What are you guys seeing as for D5K2 vs the 650K? Please let me know your guys real world experience and opinions. Thanks

Replies9
  1. #1mestizo2014-12-09 08:10

    Are you buying a brand new Dozer, or just new to you? When are you going to buy?

  2. #2S1204832014-12-09 09:07

    Brand new. Probably in the next 4-6 months. I don't think it will be this year yet.

  3. #3mestizo2014-12-09 20:18

    I haven't been on a D5K2 long enough to give you a good comparison, but it was a nice little tractor for the 15 mins I ran one. If you are buying new, one thing to keep in mind is the smaller dozers go to T4 emissions early next year. If the tractors get SCR, you might have to add DEF when you fuel. If I were to guess, I'd think the tractors would get some updates too that might be worth waiting for. Just my 2 cents, hopefully someone else can give you a better opinion.

  4. #4kevin37b2014-12-10 13:27

    Deere has finally got their stuff together on dozers . I ran a 850 J this year m,10,000 hrs . The tractor was great the blade was what I liked . It would cut , dig , grade .If you are bf anything will work .

  5. #5pafarmer2014-12-10 18:31

    I have a brand new 450 LT.......Awesome tractor...

  6. #6mudober2014-12-14 21:19

    I would put my money on a Deere.

  7. #7Reece382014-12-20 21:47

    i really like the new k2 d5 machines. put a few hundred hours on a new one this year and had nothing but good to say about it, i like the 650 deers but they just seem the same for the past ten plus years to me. then cat has a very nice operators station, with advanced blade controls there pretty nice to run. JMO

  8. #8maddog2014-12-21 08:23

    Dealer suport

  9. #9gladiatore2014-12-21 10:28

    Deere all time, my father used to have a constrution company, we have many caterpillars dozer d6, d7, d8 d9, graders 120, 12, 140 160, excavators 325 335, etc... 1 day my father got a used grader 770a, and we saw the diference, fuel economy, power, and many other good issues cat doesnt has, after that we never buy another cat (we start sell all cat and buy deere's), at the end we had 90% equipment fleet of deere's, i still have a JD 650h, it has many years working everyday and the only "ëxpensive work" i have done is service to fuel pump and injectors, and of course 2 times full undercarriage(normal), so far away