Hello The Caterpillar parts book shows a gasket where the axle hub is bolted onto the wheel but says not used and no part number. Was silicone being used there? there was nothing there when the axles were removed, seems like there should be something there. Also are the threaded plugs located midway on the wheels solely used for draining the gear oil in the wheel?
Can you post up the parts manual illustration please. Also a photo of the cover showing the location of the plugs. I doubt it would be silicone. Probably a very thin smear of some sort of gasket maker. Likely the service manual would have a procedure.
Thanks for the quick reply. I don't know how to post pictures and will have to get with my granddaughter to achieve that.
It was probably cat red liquid gasket witch is discontinued they say to use permatex high tack
Thank you.
Here's a pic of the plug in the wheel I was talking about earlier in the thread.
Is that on the drive or steering axle.?
It's on the drive axle, both wheels.
Here's pics from the parts manual. Numbers 17 and 18 are the two in question.
From the illustration I would reckon that plug #8 is the drain, and the un-named plug in the cover over the top of the differential pinion is the fill plug. I would stand to be corrected on that though. As regards the plugs in the hubs. No idea, because the axle oil appears to be shared between the differential housing and the hubs.
Thank you much.