On the screen is powertrain error. My travel speed has been reduced, basically gone into limp mode. The dealer cannot find the fault.
How about some basic information like a Serial Number..? I seem to recall we've been here before on a Cat wheeled excavator. Let me see if I can find the thread. HeavyEquipmentForums
W5M00285 We have changed solenoids, no joy. Finnings fitter has flashed the machine but cannot get the Error off the computer. 1 week on now and Finning are still awaiting what to do next from Caterpillar.
Can you snap a photo of what you see on the screen and post it please - scratch that. I found the explanation of the fault mode. OK, here is the explanation of what happens. Looking at the electronics and without knowing exactly what the dealer fitter did here's what I suggest to check if it hasn't been checked already: - 1. Armrest position switch working OK..? The ECM has to see a change of state from BOTH inputs (N/O & N/C) from the switch. 2. Does the Soft Switch Panel give the correct outputs..? At least does the display change through the options of 1, 2, & Auto.? 3. Service Brake pedal limit switch working OK.? 4. No Diagnostic Codes for the Transmission Speed sensor or the Travel Pedal Position Sensor.? If you need an Electrical Schematic shout out. I can email you one.
Thanks Nige, I will do that now. I really appreciate your time and knowledge.
Sorry, for some reason the file would not upload. Here it is.
No active errors showing. Armrest working ok. Soft buttons for travel change working ok. Service brake ok.
Nige, can you try uploading your file as it never came through, thanks
I sent you a PM. Look in the top RH side of the forum next to your Usename for a red envelope. It means that you have a PM.
What about logged codes ?
Logged Error ECU : 967 - 9 Logged Event ECU : 360 - 2 MCU : 262 - 3 According to Finnings fitter these have nothing to do with the problem. Doing my own research today, ( speaking with extremely knowledgeable people like yourself ) ive been told the POWERTRAIN ERROR code thats on the screen is due to the high speed and low speed solenoids both being energized together, which is putting the travel motor into limp mode. All the hydraulics are perfect, engine is perfect, no noise whatsoever coming from the travel motor, it just feels like as if a valve is half opened half shut, just not releasing the full flow of oil to the motor. Any little bit of advice is so much invaluable to me right now as its my only machine.
I tend to agree with him about the first two. Not sure about the last one though. 967-9 is the Implement ECM receiving information from the Monitor System that the Implement ECM perceives to be incorrect. 360-2 is a Level 2 Low engine oil pressure event. 262-03 is an error in the stabilized 5V DC power supply to the transmission pressure sensor on the machine. I think I'd be digging a bit deeper into that one if it was me, for no other reason than the fact that it's the transmission that's giving trouble. Until it's reuled out as a possibility the doubt's always there. I'm wondering out loud if you have an internal harness fault somewhere. Did your problem come out of the blue or was the machine acting up for a while before it went into limp mode..?
Hi Nige, Just seen your reply now. The machine has been perfect in every way, it just happened out of the blue. I was working in the creeper speed spreading topsoil along the foothpath, I got out of the duck to move a volvo dumper out of the way, I got back into the duck went to drive and the problem occured, absolutely no problems whatsoever bofore hand, only 6400 hrs the duck.
From what I remember the fitter telling me, the 262-03 is low quick hitch pressure?
That's not what I can see. from the Service Manual ……. "This diagnostic code is associated with the Machine Control ECM 5 volt sensor power supply. The 5 volt sensor power supply provides power for the transmission pressure sensor. The CID 0262 FMI 03 diagnostic code is activated when the ECM detects that the voltage of the 5 volt power supply circuit is higher than normal."
I have some experience with these yokes. A couple of things to try: Get the wheels off the ground and drive the machine. Watch the digital speedometer. Is it accurate or does it give erroneous readings? Has the "limp home" switch behind the right armrest been set? Do you have any active Event codes? A bit of a long shot. Have a look at the hydraulic filter restriction switch on top of the hydraulic tank. It's susceptible to damage by being walked on and if goes open circuit the machine won't come out of economy mode. *Edit. I believe you need ET so see active events.
Hello, the speedometer is accurate. The backup switch is in its normal position, no active events showing but as you see from the picture I attached earlier, POWERTRAIN ERROR is constantly on the screen. The breather on top of the hydraulic tank is perfect. Thank you so much for any help you can give me, I really appreciate it.
Not the breather, the filter restriction switch, item #7. Check it and its wiring.
It seems all ok, nothing broken.
Tommy, have you tried CM's other suggestion of raising the wheels off the ground and see how the speedometer performs..?
Ok, right now Im in the duck, the speedometer is steady, full speed at 15km it should be 34km low speed is 3km it should be around 10km. You can hold it anywhere between those values and it dosnt jump up or down
When you press the economy/power mode control button on the soft key pad, does the power light flash, or light up continuously?
I have just pulled the double solenoid from the spool block, the shaft is totally corroded on the bottom half, could this my problem? Just going to clean up the shaft with some fine sandpaper, 1of the solenoids seems to have a burnt smell from it!
The corrosion on the valve is unlikely to be a problem in itself. You can check the resistance of the coils with a DMM. It should be around ±35 Ohm.
Cmark One of the coils was 25, I swapped it for another1, put it all back together and still the same problem. Now you did ask me regarding the power mode control button. When you drive the duck forward or reverse, in high or low speed in power mode or economy mode the red light is flashing. If I operate any movements with the boom, dipper, bucket etc without driving the light stays on, but if I try driving while operating any movements the light stays flashing and the speedometer is jumping up and down.
An update regarding that light, it only flashes when you apply the travel pedal all the ways down, as if you wanted to go full speed. It stays solid when while driving if you dont press the pedal all the ways
Did you just switch the coil on that one that smelled burnt, or did you swap the complete valve assembly in your photo as well as the coil..?.
I only just swapped the coil, it was only reading 25 Ohm, as the top 1 was reading 35 Ohm. I polished up the stem assembly, I checked every other solenoid for Ohms. I checked the transmission pressure switch also, it is recieving the 5v. I pulled the travel spool aswell from the main block, it looked ok. The only thing that I can think of is, when I pulled those 2 solenoids, that bottom 1was welded to the stem, would the travel motor have to be recalibrated now?
Are you saying that you swapped the 25 ohm coil for a good one or exchanged it with the other transmission coil? Until you've got two good 35 ohm coils on the transmission, I wouldn't move on to anything else, toubleshooting wise. The coil is part number 1957747 and is used in several places on the machine if you need to temporarily borrow one. As far as the economy/power LED is concerned, are you now happy to describe the problem as being "the machine won't shift out of economy mode when full travel pedal is applied", as that is different to a "derate" occurring and gives us direction with troubleshooting. The erratic speedo is a concern. The transmission speed signal goes through a slip-ring in the swivel assembly which have been known to give problems. Do you have enough stabilisers and/or blade fitted to get all four wheels off the ground without using the boom? You need to repeat the test of monitoring the speedo whilst slowly slewing 360° to locate any bad spots on the slip ring. Do your stabilisers work reliably? Everything electrical in the bottom half shares a common ground that also goes through the slip ring.
I swapped the bad solenoid for a good one, there are now 2 solenoids both showing 35 ohms. The speedo is only acting erratic when I have the wheels off the ground spinning and operating the upper structure at the same time, operating boom, dipper, bucket all together. If I only just spin the wheels on their own, and no movement of the upper structure, the speedo is normal. The jack legs and blade function are all working perfectly. I have checked all wiring looms and any solenoids on the chassis so I believe the wiring coming down through the slew is ok. Regarding the light on the switch panel, in either economy mode or power mode the light stays on ONLY if you press the drive pedal 3/4 ways, but if you push the pedal all the ways to the floor 100% down then the light will start flashing.
As far as I know (and I don't know everything), the transmission speed sensor signal is an INPUT only, that is it shouldn't be affected directly by the travel pedal signal or anything else for that matter, but we seem to have a correlation of bad transmission speed signal and upper structure movement. Now I'm not saying that this is definitely the cause of your problem, but it isn't right and I think should be looked into further. My next move would be to run wires from the transmission speed sensor up to the harness connector on the superstructure, bypassing the slip ring.
i have similar issue, every other implements are working just the movement that is not working, from the screen its showing power train error. what should i do please.
If you open the door next to the diesel tank on the left hand side under the step there are a row of solinides. I can't remember which one it is I think the second one in, well if you change that it possibley might fix the problem as that was my problem.