Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat XQ60 Generator HPFP Oil Leak

pbd05 ยท 2026-05-17 21:01

Picked up this unit a few months back, knowing it had a bad oil leak. Cleaned it all down and nothing was really apparent at first. After having it sit for a bit I found that one of the oil drain plugs had a bad o-ring, got that fixed up. After a few hours of running I'm not seeing some leaking from high pressure fuel pump. It seems like it could be the o-ring between the front case and the pump that's leaking. Is the repair procedure just as simple as unbolting the pump, and swapping the seal? I'm guessing I have to bring the engine to TDC. Or do I have to go open up the front timing cover to unbolt the gear before pulling the pump? Would anybody have service procedure available for this? S/N CF900109

Replies4
  1. #1Simon C2026-05-19 11:13

    Posting the Engine serial number and model number may help get more results. My bet is that the pump needs to be timed before removal as per shop manual instructions. Simon C

  2. #2pbd052026-05-19 11:22

    The engines a Cat C3.4B, S/N CJ900414.

  3. #3Nige2026-05-31 19:43

    This slipped through the cracks. See the attachment. Try as I might I cannot find a Part Number for the O-Ring that fits over the nose of the FIP despite the fact that it is mentioned in the R&I procedure.

  4. #4pbd052026-05-31 21:18

    Once again, big thanks Nige! I'm seeing 512-7948 for the seal. Looks like the gear does need to come off to get the pump off the engine, not really what I was hoping to see.