Hi Guys, There's a screenshot attached here of the directory/folder tree from the manual I bought a while back, probably from Ebay. Would anyone please take a look at the and tell me if this is how the Cat manuals are organized, or is it this one? There is no table of contents, so I find the manual difficult to access. The bi-directional DC motor controlling the throttle position went out of adjustment. so I thought I would trust the trusty manual to refresh the old memory. I made notes on how to get the panel into service mode and I know how to get into the calibration mode. There was a good video on Youtube that was great to refresh my memory. It might have been user Hystat who posted that video. It just seemed like a good idea to refer to the manual, also before getting farther into the calibration. The calibration channel 18 shows Codes 2302 and 2303, so I guess the throttle linkages need to be adjusted because the machine won't throttle up to 10 and instead is only above a high idle. So: Are all Cat manuals a pain or just this one?
That's not a genuine Cat manual or even anything close to one. It looks like one of the pdf knock-off manuals from Eastern Europe sold on a memory stick that everyone complains about. You've been had - unfortunately. If this is the same 9JS-prefix machine from before the Cat Publication reference of the genuine article is RENR5310. The new retail price in paper form is $740 or $530 on CD, just so you know. A quick look shows nothing in the normal online marketplaces. Here's a link to a new one - RENR5310
Thanks @Nige ! I knew that I could count on you! I don't know how you do it, but yes, this is the same 9JS machine. Here's a couple of pics from my project for today:
I dont think I've ever had one that needed recalibration that was off by more than 100rpm, and my 322B machines went over 20k hours. You'll have to further diagnose. As an aside, if you have 2way integrated auxiliary hydraulics with a controller near/ under the air filter, it intercepts the throttle signals, and has been known to fill with rainwater.
I sure appreciate the help. Around 11pm, after WAY too long messing with cable lengths, I said F it and set the speed dial to 6 and set the cables to fit at what sounded about that speed. It will rev to what sounds like maybe 10 when set to 10 (or slightly less) and the cables will shut the engine down. I went back into the calibration screen and still am getting 70HF04 "Faster than high idle speed". The back story is that this unit had a manual throttle and two years ago maybe, I installed a new bi-directional actuator and I managed to get it calibrated. I guess I was a better shade-tree mechanic then. For some reason, it went out of calibration and wouldn't go above maybe a 3-4 dial setting rpm, with a 10 showing on the display. Like I said, I have some speed control now.