Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat928F Diesel Fuel Pick-up Tube

steve931 ยท 2009-01-01 15:43

I have a customer with a cat 928-f that is pulling air around the fuel pick-up tube. Cat tells me that is not a replaceable part you have to buy the whole fuel tank. I removed the fuel line and fitting from the metal block that is welded on top of fuel tank. The pick-up tube looks like it is a flared tube that is sealed some way in the meal block. If anyone has any info. on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you steve931:usa

Replies3
  1. #1bolt thrower2009-01-07 11:05

    Well Steve, if it was me working on this, and I was positive the problem was the pickup tube inside the tank, I would drain the fuel, then use a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade, and cut an access hole in the tank large enough to replace the faulty tube. I think these tubes are welded to the block you mentioned. After repairing I'd clean the inside of the tank real good and weld it shut. You should put a few pounds of dry ice in the tank before you start welding for safety.

  2. #2steve9312009-01-07 21:57

    Thank's for your time. The fitting that screws into the tank and the fuel line attaches to is fairley large so I tapped it on the bottom to take a 3/16" brake line fitting. I then punched a hole in the stop in the pick-up tube attached a 3/16" brake line (cut to lenght) to the fitting and reassembled Wa-La worked like a new one. Cat says you have to buy a new tank to fix the pick-up because it is not a serviceable part. But so far this is working fine. Again I appreciate your time. (Good Idea You Had) Thanks steve931

  3. #3surfer-joe2009-01-07 22:01

    Home made & handy. Good show!