Hi Guys. Am near here and dont know much about hydraulics. Recently i bought a used Cat 214b wheeled excavator and have a terrible time with it. The problem it had was it was making sluggish movements when it runs for more than an 30 minutes by then the hydraulic oil temperature will be too high. I was advised to get another pump of which i did. But now still the problem is there. The machine from cold will behave but after the hydraulic temperature becomes high, it still goes back to being slow to a point where it even stops responding. I have so far spent so much to a point of giving up. Hence I have though of giving it a last try with your advice. And this time i have to do it myself. Any help will be very much appreciated. My email: [email protected]
No answers to begin with, just questions. 1. What type and viscosity of hydraulic oil is in it..? 2. Were there known problems with the hydraulic system when you bought it or have they developed since you've owned it..? if they developed during your ownership did they come on all of a sudden oir build up slowly to the point you're at now..? 3. Do you have any means of determining the temperature of the hydraulic oil when the machine starts playing up..? Something like a temperature gun for example, can you possibly borrow one..? 4. Is the Serial Number prefix of the machine 4CF..? I've never worked on a 214 but from what I can see in typical excavator fashion the implement hydraulic oil cooler is piggy-backed on to the radiator. Therefore if the air flow through the coooler/radiator package is reduced overheating is pretty much guaranteed. So my first suggestion would be to split the engine coolant radiator from the hydraulic oil cooler and pressure wash the pair of them. An external examination might not reveal anything major but once you split the two it's often the case that the space in between the two is plugged with dirt, grass, and anything else that can find its way in there. Where in Zambia are you located..?
German machine built. By Aider, think pump is Linde. Later Bob
Thanks for the reply nige. Yeah....I have just purchased the temperature gun off ebay uk. Thus next week I shall be able to know the actual temperature value and post it here. The problems where there when I bought it from a company that was closed up thus no much history about the machine. Moreover the cooler is located just right above the main pump not next to the radiator. Its been problems from the time I got it though the people at the workshop had assured me that the machine was working ok and had been parked for about 5 years. Am based in lusaka - zambia. The pump is a linde pump yes. And even the one that we removed behaved the same. The technician I had engaged convinced me to say it was the pump that was faulty and had to order one from the uk. Hope that answers all the questions.
I forgot. Considerin that the temperatures here get to about 25 degrees. The technician had suggested to use sae-40w as opposed to the hydraulic oil reasons best know to himself. However, problems still persited to this point. Hope I have answered all the questions.
that, pardon my french, is a load of bollox. I'm in the Caribbean where temperature gets over 30 and we still use SAE10 oil in hydraulics. Can you post a photo of the cooler..? Also please confirm at least the serial number prefix of the machine. Reason I asked was I had 2 spells in Zambia, chingola & choma.
Hi. Nige. Model: CAT 214B PIN #: 4CF00222 SERIAL #: 4TF00750 ENGINE: 3116T YEAR: 1989 Arrangement #: 800063-7C168 The link shows the pic of the cooler. Thus, as I said I want this to be done by me. If you can tell me step by step of what i need to do next. I have some basic knowledge in hydraulics. Really, u hv bn in choma and chingola? Hope u had a blast....lol. Thanks in advance. https://plus.google.com/app/basic/p...os&sparm=nopromo%3D1%26source%3Dmog%26gl%3Dzm
Oh. And the reason why I am holding on to this old lady is because the engine is really sweet. Think its worth a try before I can finally send it to its resting place..
First off when it's warm feel the cooler all over to check the temp coming out of it. Could be a cooler bypass valve stuck open. If so lines will be hot core cool. Later Bob
Apparently this technician I was using messed around with the pipes. I will just need to start from scratch to put pipes in place and all the other things like draining of the hydraulic oil and replacing it with the right oil sae10 etc.
Let me see what I can find as regards hydraulic piping diagrams for it. When you say "messed with the lines" do you just mean the ones around the pump or further afield..? Oh the pleasure of working with mechanics in Africa, it brings back memories ...... most of them not so good.
Its quiet bad with these mechanics here. Yeah, i think he tempered mostly with the lines around the pump and those connecting the solenoids. Lol....."Bring back memories huh!!!!" Am sure you should understand better how these people work here....lol.
I appreciate your efforts in collecting the information. EDITED SPAM links
Thanks Bob. Right now I just want to start from the start and put everything right. Imagine the mechanic has wasted a good 1 year just trying hope things could work. I have invested into getting the temperature gun and the hydraulic pressure tester hopefully that i can set everything straight once and for all this time. Any suggestion to other equipment i can get would be highly appreciated. regards
SPAM EDITED Thanks ixplore. Had to give out all the necessary info if you need help. regards mel Please do NOT reply to spammers, thank you.
My wife just got back from the Caribbean......
Reminds me of the story of the 2 Paddys talking about holidays..... Paddy says to Mick - I'm ready for a holiday, only this year I'm going to do it a bit different. 3 years ago I went to Spain and Mary got pregnant. 2 years ago I went to Italy and Mary got pregnant. Last year I went to Majorca and Mary got pregnant." Mick asks - So what are you going to do this year?." Paddy replies, - I'll take her with me!"