Hi I have a caterpillar 215 bsa I have just purchased. The machine has very weak swing,It will not even swipe a bucket of earth away to level it out.it also sounds noisey when I swing the machine. All other functions appear to work fine.Any help would be appreciated in diagnosing the problem thanks
Two suggestions: - 1. Change the oil in the swing drive box if you haven't already. It takes TO-4 SAE50. Look closely at what comes out for metal particles or even just for "oil with shiny bits in it". I'm not sure if the drain plug is magnetic but if it is then that's the first place to go looking for accumulated debris. 2. Get under the centre of the machine and check for wear on the teeth of the swing pinion and the ring gear. Also look at lubrication and if there isn't a lot of grease in sight get busy with the grease gun on all the lube points for the swing bearing and the pinion.
I've got a 96L 215 and it is weak trying to push material side to side as well, ran one at a auction a while back and it was the same way, I kind of figure they probably weren't as strong as the machines are now.
Drive has no drain plug
Drain and fill plug are the same
Thanks for the suggestions. I have little experience with this type of machinery.i still feel that there must be a problem with the swing as it is noisy so I will investigate further. So according to what nige is saying the gearbox has its on oil separate to the main hydraulic reservoir that feeds the rest of the machine?i thought there Was a pump that got a feed from the main reservoir that feed the drive motor/gearbox.i also thought that it just had an external gear that sits through the body of the machine and meshes on a ring gear that swings the machine. Is this correct? What I'm getting at is the drive motor /gear box sharing the same fluid with the the rest of the functions?i hope this makes sense. I thought perhaps there could just be low pressure from the pump that drives it or a faulty drive motor / gearbox. Thanks
The gear box drives on his own oil You have a swing motor who drives the gear box Swing motor can be faulty U can check the grease in the swing pan not enough grease can make the gear box noisy in the swing gear How are hyd filters ? Pressure settings of the swing motor can be low How are other fuctions ?
Is that old enough to have a spur gear swing box?