Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 225blc rabbit and turtle mode? Or straight system? 2speed?

Mountainmover ยท 2014-10-16 23:02

2zd00666 machine. Cat 225blc. Bought this machine in 1997. It's been a great machine. Used to heavy for about 7 years and then put it on he hydraulic backup list for dirt loading when I started getting into more modern excavators that had finer controls. Cranked this thing the other day. I was amazed at how clumsy the older machines are in comparison to later models. So looking back....I remember that my dad mostly ran this machine and I can't remember if it had a rabbit turtle mode or it's just straight one speeded? I recall him saying a fuse shot or a switch quit on the right arm rest panel and we never messed with it. I can't read the sticker that indicated the switch because it had faded. Can anyone help me out on how the switch panel works and what does what? If it did had a 2 speed rabbit turtle system...how does it work and what usually fails? Also. While I am at it....can we clear up the usage of the swing brake switch on most excavators? I have my ideas...but I'd like to hear yours. Thank you very much.

Replies2
  1. #1Desertwheeler2014-10-17 01:16

    I don't think they had two speeds. Curious about the brake too. I never liked it when they just kept swinging.

  2. #2Bob/Ont2014-10-17 12:09

    Single drive speed. The swing had (soft swing) an orifice leak across the swing lines controlled by a solenoid valve. To test, park on a slope and switch on and off and watch for drift to start and stop. Later Bob