Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 236b3 noise

Josh Housewright ยท 2020-06-07 22:31

I've got a 2011 caterpillar 236b3 with 1927hrs. It makes a squealing noise with moving in any direction at any speed other than idle. If it's setting still there's no noise and there's no noise while using the hydraulics. On a side note when my grapple bucket is installed the hydraulics do get a little jumpy. Here's a link to a video of the squealing noise. It did this before I put on the tracks too. I would appreciate any help in identifying the source of the noise.

Replies3
  1. #1Josh Housewright2020-06-11 22:54

    Any ideas?

  2. #201Time2020-06-12 10:37

    Can you tell if the noise is coming from the engine? Is the noise present at higher RPMs when stationary? If so, I'd check the condition of the belt and pulleys. If it's only while moving, I'd be looking at the wheels/axles. I don't really don't know enough to say where to go from there.

  3. #3Josh Housewright2020-06-13 08:41

    It doesn't appear to be coming from the engine. I did replace the belt and checked the pulleys about a week prior to this video. There was no change to that noise when the belt was changed. The noise isn't present unless it's moving. I'll try to lift it up and inspect the axle bearings this weekend if time permits.