Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 262C compressor not working

Rob1325 ยท 2016-01-07 20:05

My caterpillar 2007 262c Skidsteer ac compressor squealing on start up and sometimes for couple minutes then stops. Checked belt very tight, I can turn compressor by hand, but when turn on ac switch it sequels and compressor not engaging compressor clutch. Soon as I turn off switch it stops squealing. Even though clutch not turning compressor. Also sometimes even if ac is off is sequels for little while on startup cold or warm. Everything else works fine (condenser fans) when ac is turned on. Any help appreciated, I'm stumped. Thanks Rob

Replies4
  1. #1Cmark2016-01-07 20:49

    Either your compressor is seized or the clutch is worn out. You say can turn it by hand but is that with the clutch engaged? Remove the belt, turn on the ignition and A/C switch and see if you can turn it.

  2. #2Rob13252016-01-07 21:00

    I can turn it when clutch is not engaged. I'm thinking it may be clutch, can just clutch be replaced?

  3. #3Cmark2016-01-07 23:15

    Cat don't list the clutch as a separate item but your local A/C shop may be able to ID it for you.

  4. #4Rob13252016-01-08 12:20

    Checked things today, no power engaging compressor when turning ac on. I jump ac compressor clutch and it engages when jumped. Fuses good, now checking wires and see if any relays. Any other suggestions, let me know.