I just obtained a used grapple for my Cat 262D. The grapple worked fine when I tested it on another skid steer. However when I got home with it, I connected it to my Cat and it would not open. The unit raises up and down tilts back and forth. But for some reason I cannot get the grapple to open and close. It makes no sound at all. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. This is the first Cat I have owned. I used Bobcats with grapples and have no problems. But this is puzzling me. I turn on the aux hydraulics but the control button does nothing. Please help. Serial # TDTB01086
Disconnect grapple. Start machine. Depress park brake button to release park brake. Rock thumbwheel forward on right joystick. You should hear a change in the hydraulics. Rock thumbwheel backwards and you should here the same change in hydraulics. You should not have to press any other sequence to operate the auxiliary hydraulics. Since no attachment is connected, the oil will bypass back to tank. If you hear no difference when rocking the thumbwheel, there is a problem in the machine.
I will try that on Friday. How long should I hold the thumbwheel? Thanks for the reply.
The moment it is rocked fully, either way, the hydraulics will go to relief, resulting in a change of sound in both the hydraulics and the engine. There is no need to hold it on for more than 3 seconds.
Thanks for the information.
Went to shop today. Start the machine and released the brake. No change either way when moving the thumb wheel. I believe I need a new joystick. Everything else works fine.
I'd check fuses or anything else before springing for a joystick. It wouldn't surprise me if the Cat house wanted $1250+ for the joystick. You can probably take it apart and switch out the thumb wheel if you were really determined to do so. A buddy does it with the aux switches in the joystick on his Komatsu loaders since they get used hundreds of times a day (high tip buckets) and a new joystick is something like $1400 and the switch is about $7.
I did check the fuses all were fine. I know its the thumb wheel. I plan to tear it apart. A new cover with the thumb wheel from Cat is $487. It is not the entire joystick, just the cover with the thumb wheel. So if I could find a used joy stick for a fair price I will go that route. I can fix most of these items so Cat won't see me unless it is down to the last straw. Thanks for the information. Will let you know how it comes out.
Took the joystick off the controller and put the multimeter to it. I got continuity in the trigger button, but the thumbwheel nothing, so as I suspected it is the thumbwheel. So the search begins.
the thumb wheel switch is not resistive it is a PWM sensor. generally you need to check duty cycle at the signal wire
Yes, I checked all the wires. I opened the thumbwheel and the springs inside were completely rusted from top to bottom. So I am sure that the corrosion goes into the wiring circuit causing an open circuit.
I received a new joystick today. I installed the unit and fire the machine up. The auxiliary switches work with fluid going through. So the it was the joystick after all. Thanks for the information.
I have the same problem. Grapple raises up and down tilts back and forth, but I can't get it to open and close. I wonder if I have a problem with the joystick too.. I used to have grapple from kx-treeshears and had no problem with that.. But now with with a bigger grapple this problem started. I think I will do the same and try with a new joystick as soon as possible..