Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 268b heater/ac fan blower help.

Mountainmover ยท 2016-07-21 03:38

Hi. My machine has roughly 1100 hours or so. It's a high flow full cab with loegering vts system. The a/c quit. From what I can tell the heat quit also and the fan does not blow. so I went to check fuses. When I pull the fuse for the fan it has an arc to it. What I mean is that it sparks when I put the fuse in or pull it out. I talked to cat mechanic and he said its common for rats to build a nest in the blower fan box and it bogs the fan and shorts the motor out. I guess I'll have to tilt the cab and tear the dash under the joystick all apart? The cat guy said the part will cost like $400!!?? I can't find an aftermarket one. There seems to be less aftermarket parts for the micro Equipment than the big cat stuff. Uhhh!!! Does anyone know a good source or trick on finding thr part for this machine? Can I find just the little 12v motor and change that out? $400 is ridiculous! Must find a work around!! Any help appreciated! Thanks!!!

Replies19
  1. #1Mark2502016-07-21 07:32

    hi the fact that the fuse hasn't blown (unless the wrong fuse has been fitted)probably means the motor might be ok .you might be able to free it and it will be ok, worth a try anyway Mark

  2. #2Nige2016-07-21 08:20

    Before looking at what this, that, or the other part costs, a basic question. Do you have the capacity to tear down the ducting in the cab to get to the blower motor and check everything out...? It may not be the motor is what I'm saying, especially if there is an arc at the fuse when you pull it out. If you want an Electrical Schematic you'll need to post a Serial Number.

  3. #3Mark2502016-07-21 17:11

    could you indicate which fuse you pulled that was arcing, there are two supply fuses for the Hvac system fuse 17 and fuse 22 in fuse block 1

  4. #4Mark2502016-07-21 17:24

    there are two fuses that supply the havc which one did you pull Mark

  5. #5Mountainmover2016-07-22 22:45

    Thank you for the replies! Thanks for the replies! I had no idea anyone had replied as I didn't get an email alert! Ok so, you've proposed a few good questions for me. It's dark now so I can't go see which fuse I pulled did this. But that's a good question! My memory makes me think it was for a/c..... I'll report back! I am putting the hub assembly on the machine at the moment because I'm trying to beat the weather and the head system I can work on on the inside of my shop. Is it overly complicated getting to the blower motor? By the way.... Does this thing have a belt driven or hydraulic driven a/c compressor? I'm assuming hydraulic? I don't see a compressor on the backside of the engine. What activates the compressor? We bought this machine new and it has sat more than it has been used. We just use it to spread gravel on small driveways and level up small basements etc..... Here is the serial number: Cat 268b 268B S/N LBA01145 As I am replacing the front hub in the loegering vts system....I can't really say that I've formed an opinion on the system. It's great in that it has a suspension. I like the big open center roller frame for mud removal. I like the slow turning large sprocket. I like the spread out length of the roller frame. It seems to "go" better off road due to flex. I'm worried about costs. The from hub was $1,000 and I've replaced three out of the four in 1100 hours since new. Summit supply told me that the quit production of the systems....but they have a warehouse full of parts. Parts seem expensive! But when comparing to factory rubber track drive idk which one costs less. The planetary and drive motor on a typical ctl is super expensive! And standard ctl has no suspension besides the 299 cat. The typical ctl can't be swapped over to rubber tires in special situations. Also....the vts system can be removed and worked on separate from the machine... Didn't mean to hijack or sidestep my original post....lol. Ok....ill post back about the fuse arcing and which one I'm pulling. Stay tuned and thanks so much guys!

  6. #6Nige2016-07-23 04:12

    Well here's a copy of the Electrical Schematic to help you trace wiring. View attachment RENR6419-05 - 216B thru 268B Electrical Schematic.pdf

  7. #7Mountainmover2016-07-29 22:35

    Fuse #22 which has the snowflake sparks like crazy Thanks everyone and thanks NIGE.... U r always good help. So...I'm now about to tilt the cab. I've got engine running....fan isn't blowing out ducts....a/c switch in side dash is lit up but no cold air blowing. I notice that when I switch the fan switch from low to high in the middle spot the a/c switch light blinks on and off. So with both switches on....fuse #22 (snowflake) sparks like crazy but fuse isn't blown!!! Fuse #17 (fan) doesn't spark and isn't blown!

  8. #8Mountainmover2016-07-30 01:01

    Well...so I've been trying to take the fan box apart. Little clips everywhere! WTH??? I've lost a few. Where am I gonna get these clips? cat dealer? Jeez.... So I do t have the box completely apart yet. Looking around trying to find what's blocking it. So far I've taken all the clips loose...then the left hand control ducting around joystick. Still can't get it apart. Do I have to take the other side apart too!!!??? Omg. What a mess for something so stupid. I'd rather change a head gasket! What kind of foam material can I use to seal all this up with? Does napa sell sheets of it or where? What is it called? A black foam looking material and a black adhesive under cab and between all these pieces.....

  9. #9Cmark2016-07-30 01:43

    As a general rule, you take A/C and heater boxes out of the machine as a complete unit and then work on it at the bench.

  10. #10Mountainmover2016-08-02 00:31

    Pics Thanks CMark. Got this thing out. You have to remove the ducting under and around the joysticks. Then the cross piece of ducting. Then a million clips hold the box on the unit together. Tilt the inside side of the box inward (that contains the heater condenser and a/c condenser ?). You have to be gently due to brass tubing and a/c lines.... Then...on the outside of machine under the fender you have to use a 13mm socket to pull bolts out that hole the unit to the machine. Once you pull up that piece you get to pull out the fan blower unit.

  11. #11Mountainmover2016-08-02 00:34
  12. #12Mountainmover2016-08-02 00:36
  13. #13Mountainmover2016-08-02 00:39

    Those little clips....omg. Where will I find those besides CAT!? Ok so....got this dual fan single motor out. It is a SPAL e1-02-2750 type 008-a45-02 12v. The resistor on top of motor says: SPAL resistor cod 4005

  14. #14Mountainmover2016-08-02 00:42

    I bypassed the resistor and ran a straight hot wire to the motor and a ground to the ground tab. It wants to jerk but never turns. I just barely feel a pulse as if the motor can't turn..... And the hot wire sparks like crazy! I guess it's burned out? Tried to spin it by hand and its stuff to turn but turns. If I could just trace down this same motor and put it between the squirrel cages..... $350-$400 is way too much from cat! It's tiny and plastic. SPAL is Italian right? Anyways..::thanks so far guys! Maybe this thread will be a good archive for someone else's similar problem.

  15. #15Mountainmover2016-08-02 00:48

    Whoops! Look at what I may have found on eBay!!??? Item # 262313683137

  16. #16Mountainmover2016-08-07 16:48

    I found the best price on these blowers for Cat asked steer. Ultrarev.com ! $75.00 Cat wants almost $400.00 for the same blower!!!

  17. #17Mountainmover2016-08-07 16:51

    Here is the part number and price from Yancey cat. Caterpillar Fan blower Part# 295-5440 $349.82 It is made by SPAL. Spal USA 30000463 Double Wheel 12 Volt Blower - SKU # 30000463-SPAL

  18. #18Georgia Iron2016-08-09 07:47

    I just bought that exact motor for my case 440. $130.00 http://www.apairinc.com/shopping/productDetails.aspx?i=148788 There is like 4 similar motors so watch the eBay stuff because you need the right one. It did not come with the fan control resistor pack so save that. On mine the housing cracked apart.

  19. #19Georgia Iron2016-08-09 09:32

    I sure you know but from the looks of the evaporator you best be cleaning it. That might have given you some airflow issues. Hopefully your air cleaner for your engine is in better shape!