Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 277B Squealing undercarriage

keithnicholson ยท 2015-10-27 21:01

I have a 277b with asv undercarriage it has developed a loud squeal and I cant pin point where its coming from, I do know its coming from undercarriage but don't know what,, I have checked for loose bearing, haven't found any or seen any leaks from rollers, any ideas? Thanks in advance

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2015-10-28 04:18

    To pinpoint the noise you may have to resort to dropping the track off on the side of the machine the noise is coming from and start spinning rollers one at a time by hand. Trying to check bearing play may prove difficult with the track in place.

  2. #2grandpa2015-10-28 22:46

    Check it with a temp gun.... a noise like that will create heat.

  3. #3partsandservice2015-10-29 22:47

    Another great use for the heat gun!! The shaft bearings ride in an oil bath, I have modified the hollow shaft tubes by drilling and taping two holes for grease zerk and one for a vent, ( remove the pipe plug when adding additional grease to keep from pushing the seals out) initially packing them with grease. This seriously extends the life roller shaft bearings. If you don't want the zerks to get damaged a pipe plug will fill that hole to remove and place zerk in when servicing. Only need two holes in tube like that near bearing.

  4. #4pafarmer2015-10-30 09:01

    Great solution to an age old issue. Pretty cool modification...