Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 287B HVAC Control problems

Kentucky · 2022-07-04 15:38

I recently purchased a caterpillar 287B , sn#0287BVZSA00749 and have noticed issues with the HVAC system. It will blow cold air on high, though doesn’t seem to work on low setting. The heat/cold knob free spins, so I can’t actually tell if the heat works at this point. At some point it has been worked on, due to being taped up around the control area, where I suspect it should be trim/screwed down? Fairly mechanically inclined, but as my machine didn’t come with any manuals and seems no online searches have brought up my particular problem, I thought someone on here may have had experience with this issue? Gotten a lot of help just browsing this forum before becoming a member, so thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to respond.

Replies7
  1. #1heymccall2022-07-04 21:50

    Do both condenser fans work? As for heat knob, it's a crappy RedDot unit. On mine, the Oring on the valve flap fell off, leaving heat uncontrollably on.

  2. #2Kentucky2022-07-05 00:07

    When I actually noticed, the machine was running so I couldn’t tell? I’ll definitely check it out once I get back in from work tomorrow. I’ll also check the knob better, now that I’ve seen how it’s placed. I bought it a couple weeks ago and didn’t have any of the manuals with it, so been in the dark with the exception of what I’ve found here and off google.

  3. #3Nige2022-07-05 05:14

    You mentioned manuals. Your machine is a very early B model. The Cat Publication references for manuals for your Serial Number are as follows, the prices in brackets are what a new manual would cost. You are likely to find most if not all of them available on internet auction sites. Operation & Maintenance - SEBU7732 ($49). This is the manual you really need for day-to-day operation & maintenance of the machine. Parts - SEBP3930 ($228) Service - RENR4880 ($545 on CD, $780 in paper form) https://www.ebay.com/itm/304206481622 https://www.ebay.com/itm/313682151213

  4. #4Kentucky2022-07-05 10:20

    Thanks Nige for the response! Definitely gonna go ahead and get the Operation and Maintenance, even at $49 new that’s not terrible, plus I’m wanting to get the most life I can out of this machine, as I’m using it to begin a side business. Definitely gonna buy the other two soon, as I can see there isn’t a lot of info on the 287B online! The interior trim is missing from the inside door and lacking a wiper button, had looked for image to see which plug button connected to and almost never found an image to go off of. Had also been researching about 2 speed on it. Some things I’ve read said it in fact came with 2 speed, others said even if it had the indicator light, etc that my model wasn’t 2 speed, so still not sure on that?

  5. #5heymccall2022-07-05 11:35
  6. #6Nige2022-07-05 12:25

    The two links I posted above are genuine OEM manuals BTW. To get the O&M Manual go to - https://catpublications.com/ When the popup appears click on "Continue as Guest" Put SEBU7732 in the box and click Search. You should see the illustration below.

  7. #7Kentucky2022-07-05 13:16

    I really appreciate the links and the parts listing for the interior! Thank you all both for taking the time to help me!