Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 304C CR, right track does not move

Nipmuck ยท 2025-01-18 22:02

I bought a CAT 304C CR model 2006 with 4900 hours. When it was delivered, the driver who brought it from PA to MA had to straighten it out every 2 feet by lifting the front and push it over while driving it off the trailer. Once on the ground, I lifted the under carriage with the boom and bucket on the right so the track was in the air and pushed the travel control from the right track forward ... no movements at all! However the whining sound from the pump? was normal like the sound of the left track which works. Any ideas what is broke and causes this? Final Drive Motor? Could it be something else? I paid $24'500 plus buyers premium and fees; the auctioneer claimed that all functions were tested and working; there was even a video on youtube showing the machine in action. The driver stated, "Now I do know why he wanted to load it himself."

Replies26
  1. #1Nige2025-01-18 22:20

    Can you post a Serial Number please. When you lift the right track in the air and attempt to move the travel motor can you see the two hydraulic hoses for the track motor "tense" as the presure comes on.? You may have to lift a guard or to so that you can see the hoses.

  2. #2Nipmuck2025-01-18 22:48

    Great idea Nige, I will do that tomorrow and post my observations here with the serial number.. Thank you so much for your help.

  3. #3Nipmuck2025-01-19 18:41

    Here is the serial #: FPK00792. I called a friend of mine to feel the hydraulic hoses while I moved the travel control back and forth. While doing so, he noticed a noise coming from the final drive. Please listen to the attached mp3 file I made with the iPhone of the noise holding it close to the final drive. I think it is safe to say that hydraulic oil gets to the final drive, otherwise it would not make that noise? Is the sound indicative of a defective final drive? To hear the noise, click on link below! Thank you, https://www.rarestfinds.com/rfa/CAT-304-C-final-drive-noise.mp3

  4. #4pittsburgh cat man2025-01-19 19:00

    To me it sounds like no splines on the motor

  5. #5reganj2025-01-19 21:02

    Stupidly I will ask, what options do you have regarding whoever sold you a non working machine that claims it was a good working machine???

  6. #6Nipmuck2025-01-20 09:58

    Great idea Nige, here is the serial #: FPK00792. I will check on the hydraulic hoses ... Thank you so much for your help.

  7. #7Nipmuck2025-01-20 10:06

    The auctioneer has that lengthy disclaimer, you buy it you own it, as is, no warranties, and it goes on and on. I'm sure you are familiar with it ... However this auctioneer posts a YouTube video for each piece of equipment. This video shows the machine turning both directions. Here a link:

  8. #8Nipmuck2025-01-20 10:20

    Did you actually have a failed travel motor/final drive which sounded like this? https://www.rarestfinds.com/rfa/CAT-304-C-final-drive-noise.mp3

  9. #9Nige2025-01-20 11:13

    I think it's unlikely anyone can answer that question without physically being next to the machine but based on the YouTube video (is it actually the same one that you bought.?) it appeared to be performing adequately. Have you contacted the auctioneer regarding your concerns.? Did you get any sort of statement from the driver who delivered it, especially in view of the fact that the auction house insisted on loading the machine themselves.? TBH the first thing I would suggest would be to check the oil level in the final drive and inspect it for the presence of metallic particles.

  10. #10pittsburgh cat man2025-01-20 12:00

    Like Nige said drain final and check for metal I have heard that noise before we normaly would replace final with a or. The sound I'm pretty sure is the motor turning without a connection to final. Try varying travelspeed and see if noise matchs input

  11. #11Nipmuck2025-01-20 14:13

    It is the same machine as the spots on the machine in the YouTube video where the paint is missing, or the machine is dirty, matches my machine. No, I have not yet; I want to know as much as I can to write an informed email. No statement, I did not ask ... If this would develop into a legal matter, I can depose the driver and he would have to testify under oath. I think you would be truthful as he seemed to be upset himself over it. The machine is outside and the highs for the next two days will be 16 degrees; once it will improve I will check the oil. There is a YouTube video of an owner of a CAT 304C CR draining the metal laden oil on a travel motor/final drive and ending up replacing it; very interesting for a guy like me. I have all the tools and think I could change this motor/drive myself (not at 14 degrees!).

  12. #12Nipmuck2025-01-20 14:19

    we normally would replace final with "a or." With a or? As with an original? Please explain. I shall try that too, once the outdoor temps go back to normal, great idea, thanks!

  13. #13Nige2025-01-20 14:38

    "0R" is shorthand for a Reman (remanufactured) component, available from a Caterpillar dealer or sometimes from aftermarket component specialists. This is where you exchange your damaged component for a completely rebuilt unit that comes complete with a warranty.

  14. #14Nipmuck2025-01-20 16:45

    Nige, thanks for explaining "OR." I heard from a friend that Caterpillar keeps track of maintenance done to any CAT equipment if done at dealerships and does that nationwide; do you think that CAT would share that record with me?

  15. #15Nige2025-01-20 18:28

    That comment would only apply if the dealership had done all the maintenance on the machine during its lifetime as opposed to the customer (machine owner) doing it.

  16. #16Nipmuck2025-01-20 20:23

    Understood, in other words, the dealership will share records with me if they have some? Do I just call them if they do?

  17. #17Nige2025-01-20 22:32

    Start by calling the service department. Be prepared to get the run-around in your search to find someone to help you.

  18. #18Nipmuck2025-01-20 22:56

    Thanks Nige, I will do that.

  19. #19Nipmuck2025-01-20 23:04

    OK, I decided it is time to email the auctioneer; here is my email I sent: I bought online your reference #215717, a Caterpillar 304C CR mini excavator. Since I only have 500 characters here, I urge you to read my post here: HeavyEquipmentForums Please explain the difference between your YouTube video showing the excavator with both tracks working, and what was delivered to me. You claim to have "Old Fashioned Business Values," if something is wrong, we will do our best to make it right. ___________________________________________________ Since the web-based email server only allowed 500 characters to be typed, I just included a link to this website as you can see, to explain the situation. The "Old Fashioned Business Values" published just above the window where you type your email are: McGrew Equipment Company takes pride in our old fashioned business values and we are very family oriented. Many of our employees are family or close friends. We pride ourselves on providing exceptional customer service. If something is wrong, we will do our best to make it right. No matter how large the business grows, we will always place customers first. Interesting to see what the response will be.

  20. #20Nipmuck2025-01-21 15:18

    Update: You are right, pittsburgh cat man. I found a video of an individual repairing a final drive/travel motor on a Yamar B27 mini excavator. He bought it with working final drives but the one on the right side suddenly stopped working according to his account. Turning the sprocket wheel with the track removed made the same noise (at 0:12:00 in the video) as my final drive/travel motor. Taking the drive/motor apart, the only thing he could find defective was the shaft connecting the motor and the planetary gear. The splines were gone! ( at 1:06:00 in the video.) The video is 1 hour, 47 minutes, and 27 seconds; just fast forward to the timestamps given here to avoid having to watch the entire video. Here a link to the video :

  21. #21Nipmuck2025-01-21 15:20

    Update: Somebody from the auctioneer called me back in response to my email and asked some questions. Eventually she stated that somebody from the maintenance department would call me back. Will keep everybody updated .....

  22. #22Nige2025-01-21 16:05

    The first positive thing is that they did not point to the small print in the sales contract stating that you bought it from the auction "as-is, where-is" and in doing so deny all responsibility. Fingers crossed hoping for a positive outcome for you.

  23. #23Nipmuck2025-01-22 23:59

    Thanks Nige; a representative of the auctioneer called me today again (a female) and requested a video. She stated that she tried to contact the driver delivering the machine but was unsuccessful yet. I do not know why they would need a video, however, I will make one (today the high was around 16 degrees, the low was -3!) Maybe I will be able to jump-start the machine tomorow and take a video which I will post here.

  24. #24Nipmuck2025-01-25 12:23

    Here is the email I sent just moments ago to McGrew auctions in PA: Per your request, here the video. You see the action of the travel controls and how it moves the excavator to the right side instead of going straight due to the right final drive not working. I also only activated the travel control on the right hand side backwards and forwards and the excavator does not move at all. I hope this is what you need. Best, Peter ________________________________________________________________ Peter Frei, 101 May Brook Road, Holland, MA 01521-2020 USA phone/text/whatsApp (413) 245 4660

  25. #25Nipmuck2025-01-28 15:03

    McGrew auction seems to live up to their claim, that they have "Old Fashioned Business Values, if something is wrong, we will do our best to make it right." A representative of McGrew called me back and after some discussion, we agreed on the following, in my opinion fair solution consistent with their claim to do their best to make it right: Since moving heavy equipment is expensive and I did not want to be unreasonable, I offered to change the final drive/travel motor myself and McGrew auction would pay me $2,500 so I can buy an after-market part. I will keep you guys informed and will report about my experiance changing the final drive/travel motor. It will be in the spring when the weather allows to do the work outside.

  26. #26Nige2025-01-28 15:43

    When you are ready to start please post up. You're welcome to the procedure for replacement and commissioning of the drive motor/final drive unit.