Putting together my winter fix it list for my 3AW 315. Wondering it there is any tricks or nightmares. If so where can I weld lift points or should I just use nylon slings? Was also told to look at the thrust end faces, may have to machine it flat again. Do I have my weights correct? Boom w/lines 2500lb Stick 1400 5-600 per cyl
If you want the Service Manual procedure to remove the boom along with all confirmation of all the weights, etc, just drop me a PM with your email address. Just from a quick look you don't need to weld any lifting points on to the boom (which I wouldn't recommend anyway TBH), you simply use what's already there. If it was me I would support the boom with some sort of lifting device then simply walk the machine backwards away from it after pulling the pin.
If you leave the boom in place and just remove the main pin from the frame, you can just hoist the boom up on the lift cylinders, its handy to use a ditching bucket (Wide) as a stability factor on the end of the stick, if you remove the boom depending on your situation in lifting it can be safer to pop off the stick from the boom then remove the boom section, you will need to keep the top house in line with the carbody with the track motors to the front of you, if you swing the top with no boom cross track you can end up tipped over, both methods are safe its how you feel things will be best for you, but only pop the boom pin with the top works in line with the tracks not cross tracked. tctractors
Tony I was thinking the same thing, just didn't want to sound like I always think out of the box. Anchoring the bucket to the 6 and using the hyd to lift itself. But... Looking at the amount of side to side play and the once repaired crack on the top of the curve that has showed up again, I think it's coming off. I do agree pop the pins and back the house out from underneath. Nige Ill put up a few pics of the crack and the repair before I bought it. Hopefully your repair procedure and the dealer here have the same. There is a bucket builder in Hudson WI that has modified sticks/booms, I might pick their brain too. Gentlemen thank you.
Can you get any pics of the crack. I can assist with the repair.
Took things apart just like I envisioned. Going together tomorrow. Thank you for the insite.