Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 315DL Aux Hydraulics Problem

Iggys6 · 2021-11-30 11:04

Hi, I have a 2008 Caterpillar 315DL that has aux hydraulics that we run a demoliton grapple on. It has 4 lines, two on each side of the stick. This grapple one function opens it and one closes and one turns left the other turns right. I have attached pictures of where it comes out on the boom, the grapple turns left and right fine but does not open, only closes. The machine has to be revved up high for it to barely open. I am thinking it may be one of these solenoid valves? The only thing that throws me off is when you disconnect the wiring from both valves it still functions the same?

Replies12
  1. #1DEMLONE702021-11-30 13:03

    Serial number ?

  2. #2Iggys62021-11-30 13:11

    JN01472

  3. #3DEMLONE702021-11-30 13:16

    Are u sure u have it set to 2 WAY flow ?

  4. #4Iggys62021-11-30 14:45

    Yes we have a grapple setting in the computer and even tried other preset settings.

  5. #5DEMLONE702021-11-30 15:04

    Are u sure about serial number ?

  6. #6Iggys62021-11-30 15:14

    I think I am not near machine currently but that’s what was on my paperwork. The second line may have not came stock with this machine but it is all caterpillar Parts’s. Has two lines like this on each side. The larger line on one side is not flowing all the way causing the grapple to not open, we already swapped the lines making sure it is not the grapple but that functions fine.

  7. #7Nige2021-11-30 16:23

    Try CJN01472 , built Nov 2008.

  8. #8heymccall2021-11-30 19:19

    Do you know how to retrieve fault codes on that machine? Are there any?

  9. #9Iggys62021-11-30 19:23

    I will see if I can do that tomorrow, do you think if a solenoid valve went bad then it would throw a code? When the machine is running and operating there are no codes or lights but possibly in the diagnostic screen there may be.

  10. #10heymccall2021-11-30 21:04

    My 314Dlcr does, but only when the work tool is selected in the monitor. When set to "bucket", it doesn't check the solenoids for the auxiliaries.

  11. #11Iggys62021-12-01 08:34

    There are no active codes in the diagnostic screen. Only a logged code which is 36: 95-3. Machine functions fine just the grapple has no pressure when opening like the solenoid is stuck or something

  12. #12John C.2021-12-01 11:27

    Your machine has total tool control. You should be able to check the solenoids from the monitor panel. Do you have the Cat control handles and does the open and close function have proportional control from the handle. Can you increase or decrease the speed of the grapple or is it just on and off.