Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 317BL

317Ben ยท 2021-07-05 11:10

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum, earlier this year I purchased my first 360 excavator a Caterpillar 317BL on 800mm tracks, I have done a bit of plant operating in the past but currently working for an Agricultural Contractor only 5 minutes from home and I keep my machine in the yard and do a few digging jobs around the farm when I can, im hoping go out on my own as an owner operator at some point, anyway I have a problem with the tracking, when the machine is cold the tracks work fine independently or together but when the machine becomes warm the track motors struggle individually to move unless the machine is on flat level concrete, the machine will jump turn fine when hot, I'm guessing it could be the track motor seals letting oil through as the oil becomes thinner when it gets hot? Anyone have any ideas what else it could be? Thanks in advance. Ben.

Replies6
  1. #1Nige2021-07-05 12:17

    For accurate technical information a Serial Number is always a good idea. Based on your symptoms the first things to look at would be resealing the centre swivel (they get hard with age and fall apart) and whether or not there is an excessive quantity of oil coming out of the case drain line from each travel motor. Personally I'd say swivel first, others may have a different opinion.

  2. #2317Ben2021-07-05 14:07

    Thanks Nige machine number is 9WW00539 How difficult and time consuming would resealing a centre swivel be? Ben

  3. #3Nige2021-07-05 14:47

    Not that difficult although it will be more than a bit fiddly and you'll need the capability to lift/lower the weight of the swivel assembly which is 30kg. Getting the machine up on timbers or over some sort of pit will improve access to remove/install the connections underneath the swivel. Attached is the Parts List and the complete procedure to R&I and D&A the swivel. Any questions please ask. A suggestion would be to use plugs & caps on all the hydraulic hoses and maybe coloured cable ties to identify which hose goes where (both upstairs & down) so that they are installed correctly on reassembly. Plenty of pics on a smart phone as a reference are also a good idea.

  4. #4317Ben2021-07-06 01:46

    Thanks for the info, would the swivel housing seals effect the auxiliary lines that are used for things like a breaker or anything because I have a tilting bucket that won't hold its position its almost like a self levelling bucket! I thought it might be the ram seals in the bucket? But maybe the swivel seals could also be part of the problem?

  5. #5Nige2021-07-06 10:31

    The swivel seals will only affect the machine travel performance. If you want to see whether the seals are leaking in your tilt bucket cylinder, fix it at one end of the stroke with a ratchet strap or similar then remove and cap the hydraulic lines at the cylinder ports with steel caps. Release the strap - does it drift.? If the answer is yes then the piston seals are toast.

  6. #6uffex2021-07-06 13:36

    Good day The attached may be of interest. Kind regards Uffex