Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 420d coolant leak

chuckcu269 ยท 2012-07-15 23:07

I have a 2004 cat 420d with a coolant leak, it is leaking behind the front gear plate. You only see it start leaking when you rev the engine to a higher rpm. Looking for anyone that has seen this problem or has a service manual they would like to sell.

Replies20
  1. #1d9gdon2012-07-15 23:21

    I'm pretty sure I've got a service manual I'll sell. I'll look in the morning. I've been wanting to put some on Ebay anyway. I guess that one has a Perkins engine doesn't it? My 2005 did. Can you tell where it's coming from exactly or are you searching for it? It's not a hose leaking?

  2. #2d9gdon2012-07-16 12:59

    Nope, I have the operation and maintenance manual but not the service manual.

  3. #3alrman2012-07-16 17:19

    Take a good look at the water pump

  4. #4DGODGR2012-07-16 23:19

    Cat backhoes share the same engine (except the 446/450 size). My 416C (same engine) has always had an issue with the plastic hose connector/elbow on top of the thermostat. Could it possibly be leaking there and running down to the cover? I have seen this on many other units, including a friends 430D.

  5. #5willie592012-07-16 23:28

    Amen, that stupid plastic outlet housing is just that...stupid. Have replaced them on a number of Perkins and Perkapillar engines.

  6. #6chuckcu2692012-07-17 01:17

    Coolant leak Thanks for lookin. It does has the perkins engine. I also tried to find a perkins service manual.

  7. #7chuckcu2692012-07-17 01:20

    I'll double check, it sure looked like it was spraying out between the front engine cover and block. Thanks for the info.

  8. #8d9gdon2012-07-17 09:18

    I didn't know they all had the same engines. I rented a 416D with a hoe ram one time and I know it had a really loud turbo spool up compared to my 420D, which has a swooshing sound instead.

  9. #9chuckcu2692012-07-17 19:37

    Coolant leak Looked again its definitely leaking coolant between the front engine cover, maybe theres a mechanical seal behind the water pump that went out. Sure would be nice to find a SERVICE MANUAL. If anyones gt one or knows someone that has one send em my way. Thanks

  10. #10oilslick2017-03-27 08:02

    I have a leak similar to this one, wish people would Tell us what the problem was! It's in such a spot I just cannot get to it to see if it's timing cover,lower thermostat housing to cylinder head,or head gasket?

  11. #11DGODGR2017-03-27 09:53

    I can't say what they are putting in them now but they used to all be the same blocks with different arrangements (ie.: turbos, injectors, etc.) to facilitate different HP requirements. After about 11,000 hours I finally replaced my water pump (on my 416C) and was not part of the timing cover, nor did it have a seal that, if it failed, could leak into the timing cover. As far as I can remember, the "D" series were the same. As I posted above, mt friend's 430D had the same leak, at the water pump cover/upper hose connection, just like my 416C has had (a few times). If you really want to know what happened you can try to PM the OP to find out what he ultimately found the problem to be. Based on the OP's join date, and number of posts, I can see how it's possible that he may have joined solely to make a query about this particular problem and has found his solution and never looked back. IF this is true (only the OP can say for sure) it is unfortunate that those seeking the collective knowledge of the forum, which is vast, do not contribute to it in return. Regardless of what the Op may have found there is no guarantee that you have the exact same issue with your machine. No matter what the OP's circumstances are I recommend that you start by replacing the upper hose, thermostat housing, and gasket (it's actually an o-ring that comes with the housing if memory serves). It's an easy fix, won't waste much coolant, or take much time, and won't break the bank. The fact that you even suspect the thermostat housing (I assume that you are seeing coolant on it to make that assessment) would put the T housing/upper hose at the top of my suspect list. Good luck and please let the forum know what you find out.

  12. #12oilslick2017-03-27 10:01

    Thanks for getting back to me! I pulled lower housing,found no sign of gasket failing,had no replacement gasket so I used powerstroke rtv. That leaves me with no answers, I know. Next I got new o ring for plastic and added sealant,tried that still leaking sometimes, never while it's running? Seems to only drip when outside temp drops?. I will get a gasket and try again, is there coolant passage in timing cover? Guess it could be headgasket as well. I do like the forum,got my extended hoe fixed thanks to help on here,I was clueless!

  13. #13DGODGR2017-03-27 10:14

    Please see questions above in red.

  14. #14oilslick2017-03-27 10:16

    The lower housing that holds the thermostat, the upper part is plastic that holds thermostat into lower housing.

  15. #15DGODGR2017-03-27 12:23

    10-4. I recommend replacement of the plastic thermostat cover/inlet tube (that connects to the upper hose). I have not had any luck replacing only the o-ring. Replace hose while your at it. I also recommend using the proper gasket for the lower housing seal. Cat parts are not hard to come by and this would be my preference over RTV. I know that I am basically sayng the same thing as my first post but I have not had any leaking issues with this engine (except where I have previously noted) with over 12,000 hours of service on one. I am not aware of any passages that go through the timing cover (someone please correct me if I am wrong). I suppose it could be a head gasket but I would ask you if the unit runs hot. Some fluid analysis could provide more clues as well.

  16. #16DGODGR2017-03-27 12:28

    The last thing that I will add to this conversation is that my 416C will always seek it's own coolant level. What I mean by that is that you can fill the radiator as full as you like (as full as you can get it) and as soon as the thermostat opens up it will puke out excess coolant through the overflow until it reaches the level that it likes. On my machine it's below the top of the top tank on the radiator. When this machine was near new it went in to dealer for some warranty work. The dealer told me that my coolant level was low and thet charged me to top it off. During the time I was loading on my trailer it was idling. When the T-stat opened up it dumped all the coolant that they added on the ground.

  17. #17oilslick2017-03-27 19:06

    Ok, I will get the housing and gasket, I owe it to you and the forum to try whats recommended. I have a feeling it's deeper. It was sold to me very low on coolant, heater did work though.

  18. #18ferrera102019-01-27 19:36

    Hello, i am having the same coolant leak... did we find a fix for this leak?

  19. #19oilslick2019-01-28 18:57

    Mine only leaks intermittently, haven't had to add in a year! I am sure it's the gasket under timing cover,big job!

  20. #20Tinkerer2019-01-29 11:47

    Unless the cooling system has a dedicated expansion tank the radiator has to have an inch or two minimum for the expanding liquid when it warms up. If it doesn't it will blow out the overflow.